Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Copy Cat - skyuser & tiscaliuser  (Read 14021 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Copy Cat - skyuser & tiscaliuser
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:57:42 PM »

I had noticed a similarity before but since other people have also commented...  and it has been brought to my attention again today by someone else..  and thats the apparent rip of of my code from the adsl checker.php on the skyuser and tiscaliuser site.

So I will point out some of the similarities and let you make up your own mind.

Punctuation & wording

There's remarkable similarities regarding the wording

1) Its a habit of mine to Capitalise some Words that perhaps shouldnt be.... that has also been carried through their table.

2) Punctuation - Just notice some really nice similarities here that are just too co-incidental

# At "Distance" notice how I have an additional hyphen in there - so does skyuser / tiscaliuser
  # Note the similarity of the abbreviation to (appx)* Both of which have a hyperlink to a named anchor #distance
  # Note how I have an accidental space after 21CN due and before the colon - so does sky

# Another accidental space that also shows up on the sky checker is if your exchange is 21CN enabled theres an extra space after 21CN WBC

Basic Table sizing and layout

Same size table

<table width="685px"

ok just say for the benefit of doubt that they could have chosen same size table*,  but that table is then split into 2 main columns the RH side of which is 329 pixels
<th width="329" class="main-title"><strong>Date</strong>

The chances of choosing a table with 2 columns.. and the RH column split to 329 pixels? :no:

*There is a specific reason why I used 685 pixels..  and thats because my main site template for content has a fixed width of 700 pixels.  
Using 685 or 98% gives me a nice little margin.  Since skyuser and tiscaliuser arent subject to the same template then there's no reason Im aware of why they would have to be restricted to that size.

but this gets better when you look at the i-frame ............

The google map

I show the google map in an i-frame

<iframe src="gmap2.php" width="322" height="287" border=0 scrolling=no frameborder=0></iframe>

skyuser and tiscaliuser also show it in an i-frame..  but just look at the sizes

<iframe src="./map_launcher.php" width="322" height="287" border=0 scrolling=no frameborder=0></iframe>

I find it incredibly hard to believe that by chance they would use exactly those same size i-frame - unless of course it was copied.

BTW nice little image that they have  to mark the exchange

Although its a standard icon and not in anyway copyrighted......I still have the original, from the icon set which it came from and belongs..  
I suppose its just a co-incidence that they would also recreate this image in .png format to the same file size.. and also rename it the same?

Bugs

A few other things that indicate they used my source & layout ..  aside from the fact that until the Sky/Tiscaliuser one, mine was the only checker anywhere that gave you distance other than straight-line.  
... I have at the top a status for what checks have been completed... no where else showed that either.

Early this year I developed a bug within my code which meant that for a while it was returning an error
"Phone No lookup failed" when it shouldnt have.  I fixed this bug in Feb as reported here.

No prizes for guessing  which  sites checker is still reporting the same "Phone No lookup failed" error that hasnt been fixed if you do a full exchange search.

All in all that one bug caused a couple of other display problems & I fixed these at the same time - (see images). Those bugs are still there on the other 2 sites.

Why would you even bother putting something into a newly launched application that they couldnt get to work unless they'd decided to copy it from elsewhere?  ???

RAG Test code page

BT RAG test codes  Looks like a nice easy Copy and Paste job.

I recognise my capitalisation and all the = signs.

Here we go again with the 685 pixel width table
  <table width="685px" class="table-line">

oh another co-incidence! - my nested tables are 90%.....  guess what else is? :/
  <table width="90%"cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" class="table-line2">

C = Compatibility issue found. This could be several things eg. existing ADSL connection, pending ADSL order on line, ISDN, DACS, TPON, LLU, some alarm systems.
That is my wording - if it had come from anywhere else at all - even from BT... it would not say it like that nor would it be punctuated like that.

EPIC FAIL

They forgot to actually take some of my content out of their html...  and instead they only commented it out.

I'd like to see them try and explain that one
Skyuser and Tiscaliuser - you have been caught!

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: Copy Cat - skyuser & tiscaliuser
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »

Smack 'em down girl!   :shoot: :whip:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 01:17:43 PM »

Cheeky B*******  >:(

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:09:21 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:18:44 PM »

The %$*&ing code thief!
In addition to all of  the above....  I have now seen the source file of some code that they have attempted to hide from view.

It is littered with my code comments & functions & variable on how I got it to work.
It took me weeks of hard work to code that.. then some thief comes along and rips it straight off without any recognition.

They are going to have a bleeding hard job explaining what I have just seen... this is beyond the realms of co-incidence now.. this is plagiarism.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »

No doubt about that. I've seen the code you refer to. >:(
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »

Typical Tiscali.  >:(

Tiscali User is not at all link to Tiscali  ;)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

If I was you I would make sure certain media outlets are aware of this (for example the register, thinkbroadband etc). Lets see how long it takes for them to respond to the complaint then.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »

Typical Tiscali.  >:(

Tiscali User is not at all link to Tiscali  ;)

*Edited*..........Still cheeky B******** though  >:(

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

If I was you I would make sure certain media outlets are aware of this (for example the register, thinkbroadband etc). Lets see how long it takes for them to respond to the complaint then.

I'd agree :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

SkyUser

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »

Whilst I take on board what you say Kitz, this was not intentional. We asked someone to code this for us and we have put online what was given to us.

I have sent you a PM and we want to sort this out so we don't step on your toes.

I have also removed it for the time being until this is resolved.

Ged

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »

Then the person who did the job should be held to account for copyright theft.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 06:57:37 PM »

Update

I have spoken to Ged from skyuser and we are currently in discussion.
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »

Looks like Tiscaliuser have taken down their ADSL checkers and Speed testers, only exchangechecker.php still has a link but says it is not available.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »

Seems Kitz and SkyUser have sorted this out....

Written by: UseLess | With thanks to: Kitz

Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 01:53:11 AM »

Seems Kitz and SkyUser have sorted this out....

Written by: UseLess | With thanks to: Kitz

Yes Ive given them permission to put back up for the time being.  Skyuser have been prompt and proactive with their communication.
Ive had a fair bit of family stuff on this weekend, but the final bits and pieces will be ironed out tomorrow.
-----
Pages: [1] 2