Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving house  (Read 6662 times)

Golfer

• This is how I THINK I look
Moving house
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »

Hi everyone! I hope this is the correct place to post this?

I'm about to move house and am in a quandary about what to do regarding phone/broadband services at the new address.

I am currently with Tiscali Anytime+ with 8meg unlimited b/b and am very happy with the service (one of the few, I suspect!) and beyond the 12 month contract limit.  The new place has an active BT line (don't know the number yet) and its exchange is unbundled.  When I move, would it be better to let Tiscali handle the transfer start-to-finish, or cancel the Tiscali contract at this address, register the BT line at the new address in my name and then start again with Tiscali?  The reason I ask is that when I moved to my present address, I had to re-activate the line here (previous occupant cut-off for non-payment) and BT put me on a fresh 12month contract, (buried away in the small print), despite the fact I was an existing BT customer from the address before!  (Does this make sense?) When I changed to Tiscali, BT stuck me with a £100 bill to get out of its contract. Naturally I am loath to repeat this!  Would the new line have to be in my name first before Tiscali could take it over or can they do this as a 'new allocation', so to speak.  To add to the mix...... I've noticed that the street is cabled up!  Would I be better going for a cable package instead?  I don't have a great interest in going for a TV package -  the garbage on freeview is enough - so really it is just phone and broadband. 

Currently I pay £19.99 per month for line rental, free anytime calls and (up to) 8meg broadband. I used to pay BT £25 a month on d/d just for the phone and often went over this amount due to call charges etc!  Any advice from you fine folks would be welcome! 

Regards, Rich

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
Run like **************!
AH 1945

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Moving house
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »

Hello Golfer and welcome,

I suspect you'll get several viewpoints here.

What is the approximate road distance from your new house to the exchange ?
This could be important if you're looking for fast speeds.

As Tiscali is now CarPhone Warehouse you may find there will changes in pricing and services before too long.
There may also be changes in the quality of their help desk which some were not over-enthusiastic about.
I suggest you use
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
to discover which LLU providers are available.

Re the BT side of things, if you can arrange a move as opposed to a termination you might get a better deal.
If there is an existing ADSL service it might be possible to save the connection charge if you can pick up the MAC but that could be difficult as you'll almost certainly be allocated a new number.

You might also want to consider Virgin telephone if you are opting for a cable service.
Do also check that the cable service includes a broadband service rather than Virgin's ADSL offering.
E.g. I was informed recently that some parts of Leicester have an analogue cable TV service but not broadband, whereas other areas have the full Monty.

Kind regards,
Waltere

nomeames

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:40:33 PM »

As Tiscali is now CarPhone Warehouse you may find there will changes in pricing and services before too long.
There may also be changes in the quality of their help desk which some were not over-enthusiastic about.

I can vouch for that. Not for Tiscali though but for AOL taken over by Carphone warehouse. I changed my ISP after moving house. :)

Golfer

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »

Thanks for the input guys! 

I've called Tiscali about transferring to the new address - they say they can't transfer because of issues with the new exchange (?) but they already have their equipment in it!  Ofcom helpline says they can! I'm more confused than ever now!

I think the best way forward is for me to cancel the contract here when I move, then take out a new contract with whoever when I've got the new place sorted.  I only need inclusive phone calls and a decent broadband speed (no tv) and the Tiscali deal gives me that.  I made a point of asking Tiscali if the current deal I'm on (specifically 'unlimited downloads') would still available and was assured it would be.  However, this package is now advertised with a 40Gb cap.......!  Hmmmm.........

Cheers, Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »

Check out Zen Rich :)
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »

Advertising ?......tut-tut... :)

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »

Never.... :P
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 06:38:30 PM »

Hi
Check out Zen Ric ;D
Take it from one who moved from T..... to Zen and has had NO regrets
Regards Jeff
zen user

Golfer

Re: Moving house update
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 11:09:57 PM »

Hi All - After much research I decided to go with TalkTalk as this gives me just about what I had before with only a slight increase in costs.  To offset this, calls to 0845/0870/Talktalk customers/Caller Id and 1571 are all included in the monthly charge.

Also, and this might be useful to others moving house, I found a free service called move-me through the Post office's redirection scheme.  They did comparisons of all available providers, explained the 3 best deals (TalkTalk came top) and did all the necessary legwork to order the service.  They advised that as a current Tiscali customer I could get connection for £29.99, a saving of £30 from the normal fee - which the TalkTalk salesman forgot to mention! In addition, I got them to change my energy supplier as well, so a good job all round!

I am, however, cynical old so-and-so and I wait to see if it all goes smoothly!  If you don't hear from me for 6 months....................... ;D
Run like **************!
AH 1945

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »

Never.... :P

:lol:

Just as an aside so I can set the record straight.  Im not having a go at anyone, just thought it was an ideal opportunity to mention it.

I have no problems with ISP reps saying "check out". 
When I would object is if they pestered users of this forum with blatant advertising or offering moon on a stick type promises.
.. and just so Im not accused of favouritism or anything..  neither I or the site have any financial links with Zen nor get any reward if users do decide to go with them.

However, that said I feel that it is of great benefit to users, that ISP reps do monitor and contribute to this forum, and that the communication is a 2 way thing when it comes to helping people. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »

However, that said I feel that it is of great benefit to users, that ISP reps do monitor and contribute to this forum, and that the communication is a 2 way thing when it comes to helping people.

I totally agree,tbh I wish more isp reps would visit the site,that way they can see first hand what problems users are having . :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »

Hi

quote I wish more isp reps would visit the site,that way they can see first hand what problems users are having

Bet quite a few do on the quiet  :-X

Would you advertise your presence  if you were one of the dreaded  ones (no names no pack drill)? :no:

Regards Jeff :)
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »

>> Bet quite a few do on the quiet

There are a few. 
But its up to the person themselves if they wish to be designated rep status (and obviously confirmation of their status).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker