Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Serif Photoplus X2  (Read 4490 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Serif Photoplus X2
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »

Hi,

I know this has been out for some time and will probably not be quite up to Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 or 8,but I am wondering how it compares to the likes of Adobe or Corel and what it offers over and above Google Picasa 3.
At present it is on sale at Amazon for £18.99 which seems a good buy to me,probably because Serif Photoplus X3 is now out,but quite a bit more expensive at £59.99.

http://www.serif.com/photoplus/photoplusx2.asp?MC=SERPPCPHP1&gclid=CLze6Y7Ovp0CFVBd4wodQn_uXw

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhotoPlus-X2-Digital-Studio-PC/dp/B001C0TSY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1255594951&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:25:30 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Serif Photoplus X2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »

Very competent software with a whole host of features...more than ample for the home user. Much more to play with than in Picasa.

You can get an earlier version ( version 9 ) for £9.99 (downloadable, no disc.)... or an even earlier one, version 8,  for free ( downloadable. no disc ) from http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/photoplus/

These older versions lack a few bells and whistle compared to X2......but very powerful none-the-less.

The only problems will be that they are quite large file to download and they require on-line registration, and when Serif have your e-addy they plague the life out of you with offers  etc.

Worth a look. For me the later versions of Photoshp Elements have been spoiled by the inclusion of "image organisers" and "photo galleries" which have bloated them out, increased the cost but which do not much more than Windows "My Pictures"

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:42:38 AM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »

Thanks TD,
Tbh I looked at Photoplus X2 when it first came out but baulked at the price.But at £18.99 seems like a bargain to me.I didn't want to spend £50+,just want something that can do a bit more than Picasa,saying that I think for a free programme its excellent.

The only problems will be that they are quite large file to download and they require on-line registration, and when Serif have your e-addy they plague the life out of you with offers  etc.

I think I will give that route a miss,much prefer to have the CD anyway.  :)

Just got to get the funds cleared first..... :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »

Probably wise....always good to have the disc.

>> just want something that can do a bit more than Picasa <<.............it will certainly do that, you would be moving from a basic editor to a creative program.
It will be a bit of a learning curve......but we are here to assist if needed.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »

It will be a bit of a learning curve......but we are here to assist if needed.

Thank you.  :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »

What I will say about Serif is their registration process is only over the phone and they always always try and sell you something else! >:(

The product is good however.... ;)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »

This may be slightly off topic, but have you considered The Gimp?

It's open source and free, but it can produce really professional results.

Have a look at www.gimp.org.