Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre Optic BB to rural SW Scotland  (Read 2462 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: Fibre Optic BB to rural SW Scotland
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »

OH NO!  :o  A duck on steroids  :no:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »

:lol:

Interesting reading.........I knew of this but unfortunately it will be years before the cables reach anywhere near TD Towers.

We did for a while put our hopes in the company who wish to erect a wind farm on the hill above the village and who were offering all sorts of inducements to sweeten the pill ( perfectly legal inducements ). One of their proposals was to lay cables round the village.

However, they can lay cables around here until the cows come home, but........to join that cable to the new network around Ayr still means a 45 mile cable from here to there.

TD will be long gone before that happens.. :(

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »

Hi TD,

I do not deny that you might well have your fair share of cows in Ayrshire, but it might just be worth looking around.
If you have any tower lines near you you will see a helical cable wound around the top earth conductor. I know that to be true on much of the old Hydro Board network and I've seen it on the lines around Kilsyth. Another solution for a long run might be to hitch a lift possibly with a separate microwave link on a cellular mast.

Kind regards,
Walter

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »

We got excited a few years ago when cable came to our rural area, the cable is about a mile from our village and was told it's on route to the next large town not any villages on way  :'( >:D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »

Thank you, waltergmw for the pointers...will look into that.

Our problem is that the the Local Community Council set up to review the offers and to make applications therefore does not include anybody with your depth of knowledge and experience and we are to a great extent fishing around in the dark. I am sure that opportunities are being missed due to this.

I  am trying to persuade the Council to accept the offer of a cable network in the village...even if it does not give access immediately to a "live" network, it will, I feel, give us some ammunition when the time comes to talk to suppliers about giving us such a service.

The only cellular mast that I am aware of is in the wrong direction from here....but there must be more than that one.....will investigate.
And I will have a closer look at the local tower lines.........if you hear of a duck being arrested for suspicious behaviour, it's just me.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:48:09 PM by tuftedduck »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »

Hi again Tuftedduck,

"A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:........... but this is a contact page which could start your quest off:-

http://www.sppowersystems.co.uk/contact/

With fibre distance and direction are not too important. Re a microwave link, any tall and solid structure will do provided it has a line of sight to your required destination.

Kind regards,
Walter

anything