Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommendations: Broadband Router  (Read 5190 times)

dambox

• Just arrived
Recommendations: Broadband Router
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »

Hi, I currently have a DSL 2640R (Talk Talk). I get OK speeds @6K. I am passing it on to a family member so looking for replacement.

My requirements are:

- Does not drop connections frequently / stable connection
- Likely to improve the speed with better chip set
- Need DHCP - but use a dedicated switch - so as long as it has one ethernet port I am OK
- Ability to adjust SNR
- Something that works well with DMT
- Allow open firmware to be installed - not sure of benefit - so pointers useful

Thanks

pintosal

• Reg Member
Re: Recommendations: Broadband Router
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »

I would recommend the Netgear DG834GT as a good cost/effective router. I'm happy with mine and I run the DGTeam firmware.
You can pick up good second-hand ones on e-bay at reasonable costs.
Regarding your 'wish list':
- Does not drop connections frequently / stable connection It has good stability & performance
- Likely to improve the speed with better chip set The Broadcomm chip set is probably the best
- Need DHCP - but use a dedicated switch - so as long as it has one ethernet port I am OK Yes - DHCP and 4 ethernet ports
- Ability to adjust SNR Yes - if you use DGTeam Firmware (Open firmware) or DMT
- Something that works well with DMT Yes
- Allow open firmware to be installed - not sure of benefit - so pointers useful See above on DGTeam firmware

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »

I would largely agree with pintosal, but just add the rider that there's no guarantee that any router will work well in every situation. Regarding your last point about open firmware, the source code for the DGTeam firmware is available as well as the compiled binaries. For someone who likes to fiddle with configurations, the DGTeam firmware is a dream.
  Eric

tnp

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »

I just replaced that very router, and the new one IS stable, but it also connects 500k slower.

You pays yer money.....

I've also discovered there is no one 'best ' router. ThEre is one woRSt router though and Its hight "Belkin" >:D

I rather like D-links.

I like the no nonsense style. That's why when having to choose between some postmodern fluted architecturally  scalloped router, and a box with lots of lights and a user interface from hell, I picked the user interface from hell. If they didn't spend money on making it look nice, they sure spent  it on features.,..

philip_l

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »

Hi

I would largely agree with pintosal, but just add the rider that there's no guarantee that any router will work well in every situation. Regarding your last point about open firmware, the source code for the DGTeam firmware is available as well as the compiled binaries. For someone who likes to fiddle with configurations, the DGTeam firmware is a dream.

Unfortunately development on the DGTeam firmware has been rather static and Netgear have since updated a lot of the libraries/code.  If you use the DGTeam firmware you regress back to older code but with some extra functionality.

One thing finally fixed by Netgear is UPnP which now works correctly, this can be seen by the "Pass" now given by Microsofts Internet Connectivity Tool, the DGTeam firmware does not pass this test currently due to some older buggy software from Netgear.

Unless you really need the tweaks provided by the DGTeam firmware (which can be achieved using other methods) I'd recommend sticking with the newest Netgear firmware until the DGTeam firmware catches up.

Regards

Phil

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »

Unfortunately development on the DGTeam firmware has been rather static and Netgear have since updated a lot of the libraries/code.  If you use the DGTeam firmware you regress back to older code but with some extra functionality.

One thing finally fixed by Netgear is UPnP which now works correctly, this can be seen by the "Pass" now given by Microsofts Internet Connectivity Tool, the DGTeam firmware does not pass this test currently due to some older buggy software from Netgear.

Unless you really need the tweaks provided by the DGTeam firmware (which can be achieved using other methods) I'd recommend sticking with the newest Netgear firmware until the DGTeam firmware catches up.

Are you sure about this? The latest DGTeam firmware is based on the Netgear 1.02.16 firmware, and Netgear have only released one newer version, 1.02.19. According to the Netgear site, the changes relate to VPN capability and some improvements to Wi-Fi. There's no mention of any other changes.
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »

Apparently 1.02.19 has introduced a lot of issues, in particular DHCP problems, so this may be the reason that the DGTeam release is still based on 1.02.16.

dambox

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »

Thanks for all the advice.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »

Personally, i found the DGN2000 to be stable as long as you update the firmware.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

philip_l

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »

Hi

Are you sure about this? The latest DGTeam firmware is based on the Netgear 1.02.16 firmware, and Netgear have only released one newer version, 1.02.19. According to the Netgear site, the changes relate to VPN capability and some improvements to Wi-Fi. There's no mention of any other changes.

Yes I believe so.  DGTeam firmware uses Netgear source that contains a UPnP binary that is broken.  Later versions of the firmware from Netgear substituted the broken UPnP binary for miniUPnP, but this hasn't been picked up and included in the DGTeam firmware.

Stev-O, creator of the DGTeam firmware has had discussions with a few people about it on the official forum and the only resolution at the moment is to compile your own version using DGTeam source and adding in the miniUPnP binary.  This also needs other tweaking to Iptables to wire in.

Incredibly the Netgear source I've seen is using a Beta version of miniUPnP!  :'(

Not sure what the problems are exactly with the broken UPnP implementation, but it doesn't pass the Microsoft testing tool and has problems with some applications.

Regards

Phil