Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Firefox 3.5 slow loading.  (Read 17845 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Firefox 3.5 slow loading.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 12:27:27 PM »

That certainly seems to have helped.   It does load much quicker now..  and although Ive only given it a quick test..  Im not seeing the huge lag time on the javascript menu now.

Thank you.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MartinGoose

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »

I still think you shouldnt need to use add ins or such like just to sort out issues like this and firefox need to look further into this...  particularly when it comes at a critical time when Firefox is beginning to become more popular with the general public.

I agree. Apparently the next major release of Firefox will defrag automatically when idle for more than x minutes.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 04:42:58 PM »

I have ran speedyfox as well, and hope it helps me.

I have not really had issues with slow starts tho but rather with FF suttering on scrolling and playing video clips etc.

nomeames

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 09:59:18 AM »

FF 3.5.3 is indeed slow. I switched to using Chrome now but that too seems to have compatibility issues with some webpages. They won't open in Chrome but opens fine with FF / IE. Hope FF 3.6 would be able to sort out the issues. A sneak peek  ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/14/firefox-3-6-will-support-accelerometers-make-the-internet-seasi/

(Not sure what an accelerometer is)  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:02:24 AM by nomeames »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »

An accelerometer is a device which measures acceleration. In that demo the accelerometer built into the laptop is detecting that the laptop is being rotated, and feeding this into FF to modify its display. Fascinating and quite useless. ;D

Eric

nomeames

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »

An accelerometer is a device which measures acceleration. In that demo the accelerometer built into the laptop is detecting that the laptop is being rotated, and feeding this into FF to modify its display. Fascinating and quite useless. ;D

Perhaps it would have helped Leonardo de caprio if he wanted to use a alptop before Titanic sank.  ::)

Instead of useless features if they can get FF to work faster (as it was before 3.5), everyone would appreciate that. Anyone from Mozilla listening? 

MartinGoose

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »

I seem to recall that there was some suggestion that accelerometers (and GPS) fitted in laptops being used on the West Coast of the USA might become a community based earthquake monitoring system. It seems that many modern hard disks have accelerometers fitted but the data they generate is not generally accessible beyond the confines of the HD.   Google may find something for you.

Perhaps not quite useless after all ;)

On the other hand I may just be making it all up :'(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:36 AM »

Perhaps not quite useless after all

I'm sure you're right. It was the connection with the Firefox display which I rate as useless. :)
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »

guys here is the bug report related to my problem, the devs refuse to mark it confirmed although it has a lot of evidence backing it up. not great reading for non techy people.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=490122

nomeames

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 05:12:39 PM »

Something is seriously wrong. Whats taking so long for Mozilla to act. Firefox used to be the best web browser. Now it is the worst (in my opinion). IE / Chrome are way faster now. I hoped things to change after V3.5.4 came out. But its the same. In my computer it takes something between 25-40 secs to start up. :thumbdown: (Thats after running the cleanup tool someone suggested in this thread).  :thumbdown:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 05:22:49 PM »

No problem here.

But don't forget the first couple of times of opening sites after a clean-up, it has to re-load ALL of the info back into your cach.

Don't forget, what you actually see on your PC screen has to be downloaded onto your PC first.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »

I would agree its currently the worst for the simple reason it cannot even scroll pages smoothly and play videos smoothly, these are very basic performance expectations from a web browser that should be got right before everything else.

For those who dont want to read the long page or dont understand it the bug is to do with 'garbage collection', basically in V3 firefox decided to work on reducing the memory consumption in firefox as v2 had a rep for leaking memory.  The changes included making the caching go to disk instead of ram and flushing the memory at set intervals (garbage collection).  When loads of tabs are open and especially ones with multimedia content then this flushing causes firefox to stutter.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »

I notice that in the last week or so FF has had a couple of updates

3.5.4 - Bug fixes (theres a lot in there to wade through)

3.5.5 - Bug fixes

Mine still seems to be running better since I used the fix tool...
... although I did notice yesterday it still seemed to be having some sort of memory leak issue and I was using >300,000K in a browser window that I'd had open for a while.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 03:30:11 AM »

rather have memory leaks than stutter to be honest. :(

I suggested to the FF dev's to add a setting in relation to if its running on a low spec machine or not, the setting can be on by default, which would run the GC routines to keep mem usage down, and could be turned off by those with ram to spare and who want to fix the stuttering issues.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »

I too have noticed the stutter on sites like youtube, or say BBC..  also noticed that the sound at the beginning can often whine. 
At first I thought it may be the stream, but it also occurs when there should be sufficient already in the buffer.

Thing is my PC isnt really that low spec -
3GB ram
NVidia GeForce 8600 GT
Intel Quad Core -  4 x Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3