Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Firefox 3.5 slow loading.  (Read 17900 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Firefox 3.5 slow loading.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »

I was sorting out a PC yesterday that was very slow on FireFox.
Installed the latest v3.6 Beta and it's a whole lot better.
Seems fine, several comments suggest it's probably the last 3.6 beta and it will upgrade automatically to the released version.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »

3.6 is a very significant improvement I agree, although the bug I have is not fully resolved in it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 03:50:54 AM »

guys a new extension is released called bartab, it is superb for the bug I have and others with the same bug as me confirmed is a good workaround.

However for people who have issues with either high ram usage on firefox and dont like the slow startup time it does wonders for that also.

Basically bartab unloads idle tabs, and also sets all tabs as idle when you start firefox.  So if you have 100 tabs and start firefox, it will load the first one and just have 99 tabs in the tab bar but not load the sites. If you click on the tab it will load the page on demand, and after a while will then unload the site to reclaim resources.  You can excempt sites if required, such as pages that you need to keep loaded that auto refresh etc.

The bug I reported on here also has been confirmed due to the garbage collection feature on firefox and it gets worse when more tabs are open, which is why people with little tab use dont see it and why bartab sort of fixes it.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »

Hi,

I've been suffering awful performance with Firefox 3.6.3 running on Slackware 13.0 x86_64 with 4Gb RAM and a Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz.
Firefox 3.6.3 took 90 seconds to start.
And the process firefox-bin was using 1.2Gb RAM according to system monitor - when it's doing nothing!

I fixed it by simply uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox 3.6.3.
Now it starts virtually instantly and only uses about 100Mb RAM.
It's a mystery to me what caused this problem.

My guess is that perhaps the remains of an earlier version of Firefox did something bad!
I had upgraded with each new Firefox release using Slackware-built and released packages using the Slackware
command upgradepkg.
Tonight I completely removed Firefox 3.6.3 using removepkg and re-installed it using installpkg and all is now OK.
These commands are all Slackware-specific, but I suppose that other Linux have something functionally similar.

Cheers,
Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3]