Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: www.speedtester.bt.com results  (Read 6582 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
www.speedtester.bt.com results
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:54:14 AM »

BT Speedtester Results

Download speed achieved during the test was - 3839 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5568 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps

I just wondered if the IP profile is likely to improve and, if so, will the effective download speed also increase?

Effective download speed is just over two thirds of the connection rate.  That's a one third proportion of overheads.  Are these proportions normal?  If they are, that's all I want to know just as long as I am getting a fair rub of the green.

:)
Windows XP

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: www.speedtester.bt.com results
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »

Hiya Hake,

Don't know if this helps, but I've recently gone back to ADSL Max from the PlusNet ADSL2+ trial and am again synching at 8128/448. I have had a few strange speed test results, particularly from the BT tester, but PlusNets own tester generally shows a download speed of around 65xx, which is a quite a bit higher than   2/3 of 8128, I think.

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

The IP profile of 4500 is correct for a sync between 5120 kbps to 5664 kbps.  To get an increase to 5000 you'd need to sync at 5696 or above.

As mentioned by toulouse, I have seen a few slow reports of late from the speedtester, so also try somewhere like adslguides tester to check your actual throughput.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »

Another "Feature" I've noted on the new speedtester site is that it's returned to it's old and frustrating slowness together with the BT obduracy factor.
When they were just testing the new site it really was quite snappy and would compete with others such as the TBB site.

However now I sometimes have to try up to four times to get one good test running.
I can forecast if a test is going to fail by the time it takes to start the actual test.
I.e. if it starts within say 20 seconds there's a good chance of success.

I also note that even when it works on a lousy line it puts a red bar up instead of a green one and invites you to try again with an ISP test user-name instead of your proper one. This may be fine if you live in the smoke but is a waste of time out in the sticks with our wet string.

Kind regards,
Walter

Just to clarify because of Geep's comments below I'm talking about the speed of response of the BT speedtests site, rather than the actual speeds it reports.
I too have found broad agreement between the TBB and BT speeds calculated.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:03:00 AM by waltergmw »

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:58:45 AM »

Hi,
I've had a couple of 'fast' reports from BT speedtester since they changed it.
06 Oct: Connection Rate 9140, IP Profile 8000, Max Achievable Speed 7150, Download speed achieved during the test 7389.
10 Sep: Connection rate 9208, IP Profile 5500, Max Achievable Speed 7150, Download speed achieved during the test 6792.
I've found that http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ speedtester agrees with BT's achieved value.
Cheers,
Peter
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:57:17 PM by geep »