Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Opening a Network Shared File with Vista  (Read 4230 times)

MALC

Opening a Network Shared File with Vista
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »

I use a desktop with XP and a Laptop with Vista on a network.   I have set some picture files on the desktop as SHARED.   These files can be seen on the Laptop but when opening a file a message comes up, PERMISSION NOT GRANTED TO OPEN THIS FILE.  
Can anyone tell me how to give permission and hence open and see the picture?

Thanks again for all the replies.     I will look at the open with/ administrator suggestion.    However I find it strange that some of the shared picture files open without any trouble, others will not and the error message comes up.   By the way the exact wording of the message is
'Photo Gallery cant open this picture because you do not have permission to access this file location'

Ive just tried the right click on the file.    'Open with' gives the photo gallery software as the default program and paint as an alternative, tried paint and the result was just the same.   There was no mention of an administrator option.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:25:58 PM by MALC »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Opening a Network Shared File with Vista
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:16:25 PM »

It's been a while since encountering this problem but,
Try right-clicking the file followed by selecting properties, from here look for something similar to "Permissions" then follow the route until you find the option to Allow everyone.

MALC

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »

Thanks for your response.    What I cant understand is that some files open without a problem but others show the message

Photo Gallery cant open this picture because you do not have permission to access this file location.

Ive checked the properties for files that do open and those that dont,  and conditions, users etc are all the same ie there are no differences.

Ive almost given up.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »

I dont use Vista but I know some people have problems with this sort of thing if the opening program is not installed as an admin privileges.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:07:45 PM »

Have you tried copying the file to the PC you're working on and trying to open it there?
Sometimes programs require full access to a file even though you may only intend to view it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »

The other option "as discovered" the last 2 days, is to "Right-click" and select "Open as/with Administrator.
(sorry if that's slightly incorrect, but I'm sure you will understand)

One of the main problems seems to be with whichever version of Vista that is being used, because the options from one version to another can be slightly different.