Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kitzy's new toy  (Read 12299 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Kitzy's new toy
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »

Kitzy has a new toy.

Ive had my old mobile phone for 3 years and when it last came up for renewal there wasnt really anything much better on offer, so I renewed the price plan at a heavily discount price without getting a new phone.  Well old phone has served me well.. but contract is up for renewal again...  but after shopping around I still couldnt find anything that I liked that was worth upgrading to without moving up to a £30 contract...  which my usage doesnt warrant.

So after weeks of searching around for a phone I did like, I was beginning to think it would be cheaper to get a sim only deal with another telco and buy the phone..  which I was about to do.  I phoned up vodafone to ask for my PAC, they made me an offer to stay.. but the offer wasnt that good and still dearer than what I was going to do.

So PAC arrives... and so do the phone calls from vodafone retentions (Ive been with them 10+ years).  After the 2nd retentions call.. they started talking  and I laid my cards down on the table what I wanted.  I wasnt asking for the moon on a stick, just a decent deal..  and by the 3rd call from them  they agreed to do something.

Now I know the E71 isnt the latest phone.. but its still up there with the Blackberrys and gets brilliant reviews and I decided it was the one I wanted.  Because its now been out for about a year, it price has just dropped on Amazon to £240.

Last Friday vodaphone retentions offered me a good deal on it..   I just wanted to check a couple of things out to be clear in my own mind (they'd offered 2 choices) and we agreed that if they called back on Monday then I'd give them my decission.

Weekend spent reading reviews on the phone.. and working out packages and contract v sim only and buying phone.  Decided to stick with vodafone since was a good deal.  
Monday comes...  and waaaaaaaaaahhh unfortunately vodafone out of stock of silver grey E71's.  Was about to change mind and buy phone and go sim only again.. so they came up with a blackberry curve.  Checked out specks..  nope still wanted the E71 would buy.  
Got call Monday night saying possible new stock on Wed would I wait a few days.  Thought may as well.
Yesterday - result!  They'd got 50 more in stock :)

So I'm now chuffed.. and just taken delivery of my e71 which is going for £30pm on their site.. for a fraction of the cost.

Ohhhhhhh it's sexi.  Just got to wait for it to charge now before I can play.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:31:57 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Kitzy's new toy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »

Very nice Kitz....plenty to get to grips with by the looks of that.I too have a new mobile,very ancient by the look of yours but quite acceptable for my simple needs.  ;D

Nokia 2330

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »

TD's model....... :-[

[attachment deleted by admin]

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »

:lol:    @ TD    ....

I ditched my mobile a while ago   .... freedom   !!! ;D

Lovely piece of technology there Kitz   ...   have fun  !  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »

:lol:

It will compliment the freeview box I sent you.   :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »

>> Kitzy has a new toy.

For one horrible moment I thought you were going to say that you'd got an iPhone "there's an app for this, there's an app for that...". :silly:
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »

At the end of the day UB, its all about our needs and what we want from the phone.  It it does what you want.. then thats the one you get.  The new nokia N97 is lovely, but unless I wanted to pay about £35 per month then I aint gonna get.
I'd set my limit at £20 to cover the calls I make... but For eg when helping my dad choose his phone then what he wanted or needed was totally different to mine and he wouldnt want to pay more than £10.

Vodaphone comes up trumphs on this one for me though.. package was only £15,
...but because its a 'smart phone' and will push email.. and has GPS sat nav.. they offered to also throw in the "'unlimited" internet access package that is normally £7.50 per month for a fiver. 
The latter is what I was umming and arring over...   Whether to stick with £15 and use PAYG internet access because I didnt think I'd use it that often..  or whether to get the next package up which included internet.  After speaking with a few people, I decided that with having that particular phone, I'd probably need the internet package. My daughter said.. once I did start using it.. I'd probably do so more and more.

The only thing I will have to watch now is my minutes..  previously I had Stop the Clock (calls after 3mins werent counted towards usage) so I never worried... but they withdrew that & nowhere does stop the clock anymore.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »

lol...  bit heavy to carry around TD
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

>> Kitzy has a new toy.

For one horrible moment I thought you were going to say that you'd got an iPhone "there's an app for this, there's an app for that...". :silly:

heh...  nope not an iphone although I did look.

As regards app for this app for that...
The E71 and the iPhone are head to head..  or in fact the E71 actually comes out tops for what I wanted.

iPhone 3G Vs Nokia E71 Review

One of the reasons why my heart sank on Monday when vodafone said they were out of stock....  cause by then I really had got my heart set on it and I really didnt want any other phone.  Even when they offered a Blackberry Curve..  I still stuck to my guns cause I knew what I wanted out of the phone.

-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »

lol...  bit heavy to carry around TD
Not too mention a loong extension lead.

Well done Kitz.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »

>> I still stuck to my guns

And you did well :thumbs:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 02:03:26 PM »

Can't beat that for a review.....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2008/07/08/Nokia-E71/p1

Verdict

The Nokia E71's minor niggles are quite simply swamped by its positive attributes. It's a beautifully engineered phone, with great looks, slim build and fantastic ergonomics. It has wonderful battery life, a superb screen, effective GPS and fast mobile data.

Better than all that, it's reasonably priced. In fact the only major thing I can see wrong with this handset is that I'm going to have to hand it back to Nokia. All I can say is: please don't take it. Please!

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »

Nicely extracted out of vodafone there kitz ;)

In the colour you wanted too?
Chris

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »

Looks a nice piece of technology.

I went PAYG a while ago as I found that there was no way I was using all my minutes I got on contract. T-Mobile said I would not end up paying less than the £15 a month I had the contract for, but  chose to ignore them and now find myself only topping up my phone about once every 4 weeks or so for £5.

I like winding up these phone shops when I go looking, I go in and say I want a phone - no ring tones no internet no text mesages no mp3 no radio no camera - justa phone which goes 'ring ring' when it rings and has maybe a 10 number memory and last number re-dial and thats it. Oh and it needs to be as light as a feather and have at least 3 months on standby before it needs charging.

Needless to say I've yet to find one  ::) :no: :(
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2

anything