Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband intermittent fault for 2 years (help!)  (Read 2816 times)

Ritchie 2

• Just arrived
Broadband intermittent fault for 2 years (help!)
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »

Hello this may take some time  ;D

I moved into my house 2 years ago, at the time I was with BT and decided to change my package as I moved to option 3 with the old style white Home Hub.

All through the summer my broadband worked perfectly, apart from the odd disconnect here and there.

Now as the winter closed in, the problems started.  I was getting literally hundreds of random disconnects per day sometimes it would work fine for two or three hours, other times I would get 50 disconnects an hour.  Naturally I contacted my ISP (BT).  Now I wont bore you with the details of the estimated 20 hours of wrangling with bangladeshi customer care technicians but the general consensus at this point was that the home hub was at fault.

In total they replaced my home hub 6 times, and the hub phone 3 times.  (I still have all of these) and each time the problem remained the same.  This went on for a period of around 6 months over the winter and into spring 2008 at which point the problem dissapeared or at least reduced to a level which was acceptable.  I should point out that  no engineer was ever sent out.

From there things again got worse, the problem returned with a vengence and again using my internet became almost impossible.  I decided I had had enough of waiting for hours on hold with BT and moved ISP to fast.co.uk who at the time had the highest rated customer service.  Fast are logging these disconnections in fact it takes them around 5 mins to load up the disconnect screen on their system.

Frst thing fast did was reccomend a new router, which seemed to clear the problem at least temporarily - the problem then returned so a succession of BT engineers were sent out (I'm currently on visit number 8 hopefully next week) the first 4of which all plugged test equipment in and declared the line fully serviceable, I assume because the fault failed to materialise when they were at my property

Engineer number 5 noticed that the line dropped when recieving an incoming call and carryed out a 'lift and shift' which failed to rectify the problem.

Engineer number 6 noticed that my  faceplate looked ol and replaced it with a brand new one which again failed to sort the issue.

Number 7 replaced the line from the nearest telephone pole to my house all the way in to the faceplate and reported that the condition of the line was severley corroded at the pole.  Both of us felt confident that this would resolve the problem but it's still there.

Between these visits my ISP has claimed that various tweaks and stabilisations have been done to my service, although I think that is doubtfull.  I also borrowed two known working routers, the problem still persists.

So 2 years down the line various routers, missed days at work for engineers visits and I still have on average 80-100 disconnects per day.  My ISP are now threatening to remove my service I got in touch with Offcom who are saying they could take action against the ISP but also that the ISP are not obliged to provide the service.

All I want is to have a useable internet service that is reliable, at times it is decent but it's mostly unusable.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

In the time it's taken me to write this I had 3 disconnects ;)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:34:24 PM by Ritchie 2 »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Broadband intermittent fault for 2 years (help!)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »

I've had a little sod of a fault like this not that long ago. been there about 3 times and found a few issues so the speed upped. but as time goes on same issue as yourself (but not when i was on site, I'll throttle that gremilin)

I would say the next steps would be d-side change (change to another pair of wires between the cabinet to the dp (presumably on the pole) and then a e-side change (between the exchange and cabinet)

I would think theres a small hr somewhere in the network. the problem with broad band is it canbe occasionaly affected by such a small hr we need to be very close it it to spot it and even then they can look like a perfectly good connection on the hawk we use.

Officaly we're not ment to go into joints in the network on a broadband fault unless it's obviously affecting normal telephony because of the above problem (officialy, need icon of whisleing whilst trying to look innocent)

Ritchie 2

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:29:11 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

The final Engineer that turned up, and by far the most knowledgeable, seemed to think that there could be a minor problem in the line between me and the exchange which could be caused by corrosion or damage which could be triggered by rain, wind or even traffic driving past.

He estimated that the line into the house was 30-40 years old and as I live right on the coast he reckoned the whole area should probably have been replaced.  Like I said having seen the cable he took off I was 100% sure it would rectify this but he did seem to think that the line between the pole and the exchange could be in similar nick and did mention that would be the next stage.

Hopefully the same guy comes back.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

Coast ? where abouts.

1st fault this a.m. looks out to the sea (corrosion in a block terminal set half inside a replacement window)

Ritchie 2

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »

NE Scotland

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »

Hi

You obviously have   a problem line . Could you post your router stats . If unsure the link below may help.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

It may also help if you have a look at the link  below there is useful information on trying to correct line faults
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Routerstats is an application that is very useful in tracking the condition of your line over a long period see link below

http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Regards Jeff

zen user

Ritchie 2

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »

Connection Speed 2656 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 12.8 db 15.0 db

anything