Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ebay  (Read 5930 times)

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
Ebay
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

Evening guys.

not a major issue but still curious as to why this may be, wondering if you can shed any light on it.

I'm using the latest firefox 3.0.14 and i'm having problems with the speed of ebay.  For some strange reason, no other website seems to run slow, just this one.

What could the reason be?  ANy ideas?

Intertenet connection is fine on everything else just this one.

Cheers :D

scottiesmum

Re: Ebay
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »

DJ  ... On my Firefox it shows the version as 3.5.3  ...so don't know if this might be the cause  ...although I usually find that if all others are behaving normally the problem is with the site and not you  .....  hth    :)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »

Yep, Firefox 3.5.3 here too, and no problems using ebay, either. I'm running Windows XP.  I wonder what OS DeeeeeJ is using ?

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

Running XP guys. 

Just strange, not had a problem before and started few days ago. Hmmm

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »

Also just updated my firefox and still the same  >:(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:05:36 AM »

Now that you have updated your Firefox, have you also updated your Java and your Flash ?

You should have :-

Java Run Time Environment version 1.6.0.16
Flash version 10.0.32.18 (non IE)

That might help.  :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »

E-Bay is running slow for a lot of people at the moment - it is being reported on other forums.  It may just be coincidence, but Argos have just offloaded a lot of surplus stock onto their "Outlet" page on E-Bay and activity is VERY high.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:47:51 AM by camallison »

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »

Now that you have updated your Firefox, have you also updated your Java and your Flash ?

You should have :-

Java Run Time Environment version 1.6.0.16
Flash version 10.0.32.18 (non IE)

That might help.  :)

God you're a genius. :D

Updated Java and sorted it.  Brilliant mate  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »

:clap: :clap2: :thumbs:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 12:22:49 AM »

:thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »

I complained to eBay about the atrocious performance and received the expected denial that a problem exists.  Who do these people think they are kidding?  The denial culture is seriously corrosive.

Since my purchases on eBay are 'discretionary' it doesn't bother me too much.  It must cost sellers though.  Sometimes, eBay is soooooo slow that it is impossible to bid: the confirm bid page just refuses to appear.

BTW, I have noticed something rather odd.  When signing in to ebay.co.uk using Opera, I have to hit the page reload button to make the padlock close and see the green security certificates item in the address bar.  This NEVER happens when signing in to ebay.com.  Again, eBay didn't seem interested when I enquired.  In my experience, Opera behaves very well and this is the only secure web site that I use where this behaviour occurs with Opera.  BTW, everything including Java is up to date.

I should also mention that the www.ebay.co.uk page sometimes crashes Firefox 3.5.3 but the www.ebay.com page doesn't ever.  Perhaps that ties in with the Opera issue.

???
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:24:14 PM by hake »
Windows XP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »

cant speak for Opera these days...  as although I started using it years ago and stuck with it...  and really liked it.

...  aside from it used to give me problems when logging into secure sites such as online banking.

I dont think this is necessarily an Opera issue but more like who-ever coded their site.
When doing something new for the site I usually check the source w3 compliance...  and of all the browsers opera seems to be the one that behaves most like how it should do.
Of late it seems to be FF that is the most fiddly to get to behave with CSS layouts. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »

For increased security on banking web sites, I use Rapport ( www.trusteer.com ) which is available for IE and FF on Windows XP and above.  It really hardens the browser against malware and gives additional assurance that security is working properly.  Some regard it as a drawback that it is necessary to elect to use Rapport with particular web sites.  I do not.
Windows XP

anything