Broadband Related > Known Network Issues + MSO's

Massive Demon outage?

<< < (3/3)

sevenlayermuddle:
Hi there, and welcome to the forum!  And I must say, I'm relieved to find evidence that I didn't imagine the whole thing   :)

I'm afraid I'm no expert on IP routing, but my gut feeling is that you were definitely onto something.  From googling, I found this page which seems to suggest what the problem might have been (search the page for the word 'looping').

http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/providers/traceroute.html#weirdness

Maybe the forum might have some IP gurus that would be able to pass further comment, and shed any light on whether it was reasonable that Demon took 8 hours to resolve it...?

7LM

waltergmw:
Hi Everybody,

You might find some interesting reading on this subject in the article called "Facebook and BT and Virgin" at:-

http://5tth.blogspot.com/

Kind regards,
Walter

GrumblingAgain:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on October 01, 2009, 09:27:43 PM ---Hi there, and welcome to the forum!  And I must say, I'm relieved to find evidence that I didn't imagine the whole thing   :)

I'm afraid I'm no expert on IP routing, but my gut feeling is that you were definitely onto something.  From googling, I found this page which seems to suggest what the problem might have been (search the page for the word 'looping').

http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/providers/traceroute.html#weirdness

Maybe the forum might have some IP gurus that would be able to pass further comment, and shed any light on whether it was reasonable that Demon took 8 hours to resolve it...?

7LM

--- End quote ---

Hi

Thanks for that link. I can see now that my traceroute was just showing a common sympton of an onward route failing.  :blush: Interesting read though.

Cheers
GA

kitz:
>> I can see now that my traceroute was just showing a common sympton of an onward route failing.

Most likely.

Last week there was a total outage at Rapidswitch which took out access to many UK websites.  Although I dont use rapidswitch, my hosts use their services for DNS. Luckily for me my hosts had some resiliancy and were able to switch the routing...  but this is a tracert I saw just as they were switching to their backup DNS servers.

--- Quote ---Tracing route to kitz.co.uk [91.198.165.131]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    22 ms    99 ms    99 ms  Router [192.168.1.254]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *       22 ms  10.1.2.158
  5    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  hex89-linx.blueconnex.net [195.66.226.223]
  6    16 ms    16 ms    15 ms  euroconnex-1.br1.core.misp.co.uk [217.112.86.107
]
  7    15 ms    14 ms    15 ms  ge-1-377.captain.core.misp.co.uk [91.198.165.5]

8     *       14 ms     *     thermalnine.footholds.net [91.198.165.131]
  9     *       14 ms     *     thermalnine.footholds.net [91.198.165.131]
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12    15 ms     *        *     thermalnine.footholds.net [91.198.165.131]
 13    14 ms     *        *     thermalnine.footholds.net [91.198.165.131]
 14    14 ms     *        *     thermalnine.footholds.net [91.198.165.131]
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *       14 ms    13 ms  thermalnine.footholds.net [91.198.165.131]

--- End quote ---

Notice the looping at hop 8 onwards.

------------

Another instance I recall with something looping.. is back in the very early days of adsl and getting my first router. 
The router interface for port forwarding wasn't at all user friendly and I couldnt find anything anywhere on how to do it for that particular router.
I'd been trying to set up an ftp server and it wasnt just a case of setting up one rule forwarding port 21 to 192.x.x.x ..  anyhow I thought I managed to get something working..  but it wasnt until later that I realised that although Id sucessfully managed to forward port 21...  somehow (dont ask how or what) I'd managed to set something up that sent all non FTP traffic directed at me from an outside source into a loop.

It was months later that someone mentioned that if you tried to ping my router, you'd see it looping for a couple of hops at itself.  I'm assuming that it was bouncing ICMP between the WAN and LAN but not getting any further because nothing had been specifically designated for that protocol.

Weaver:
A long-time Demon user myself, I noticed that the Demon network (or BT-land-to-Demon) was broken between around 1pm Wed 30 Sep onwards and into the evening.

At two different sites, using ping and traceroute I could ping the first hop beyond my own router, but could get no further into the network. They fixed it by next morning.

With the exception of their DNS servers, which are another story, I've found Demon to be pretty reliable in terms of IP connectivity. I don't use their email or other services, so I couldn't say about that, and their performance of their DNS servers is highly questionable, but aside from that I in fact can't remember the last time I had an IP connectivity outage, as I am being careful to exclude BT-related and phoneline-related problems that are down to BT Wholesale.

I don't work for Demon :-) and would not pretend that they don't have their weaknesses. But I am a long time multi-site user, both of their home office and business grade ADSL services.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version