Broadband Related > Known Network Issues + MSO's

Massive Demon outage?

(1/3) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Demon seem to be reaching for a new level of customer service today, with an outage that lasted for almost 8 hours, from 1pm til nearly 9pm.  I've no idea whether it affected all of Demon's customer, but their helpline was jammed solid all day.  When you selected the 'technical support' menu option it rang 5 times then cut you off, without even entering the queuing system, so it's fair to assume they had a widespread problem.

I love the following quotes from their service status pages, which appeared four hours or so into the outage...

--- Quote ---17:16 Sep 30   hagueba   Some Broadband customers may currently be unable to connect. One of our Home Gateways has been rebooted in an attempt to restore service, however this was unsuccessful. Investigations are continuing into the root cause of this fault including assessment of further actions. We regret any inconvenience caused.
16:35 Sep 30   hagueba   Some Broadband customers may currently be unable to connect. One of our Home Gateways has been rebooted in an attempt to resolve suspected memory issues. There may be residual congestion as a result of this action and investigations are continuing into the root cause of this fault. We regret any inconvenience caused.

--- End quote ---

... in other words, "we tried switching it off on an again, and have no idea what to do next".  Sounds like even their own IT dept has to use the Indian help desk when problems need resolved?

7LM, not impressed  >:(

kitz:
>> we tried switching it off on an again, and have no idea what to do next

My thoughts exactly when I started to read the SS report.
Reboot..  oh that didnt work.. lets wait another hour and try again.  :'(

I know they use C&W for LLU for some accounts..  but if it caused a complete outage for so many.. it does make you wonder how many gateways they have!
Not good either coming so soon after this.

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: kitz on September 30, 2009, 11:01:19 PM ---
Not good either coming so soon after this.

--- End quote ---

Crikey, I hadn't seen that, thanks for posting it. :o

I don't think I ever signed up to paperless billing as I've already had trouble with them setting up a continuous authority on my credit card the minute they got the number, so the only way I'll do business with them nowadays is payment by cheque through the post.

waltergmw:
It seems there were a lot of gremlins about today.
The Virgin Media website and mail system was down from around 09:00 to about lunchtime today in Guildford at least.
Virgin did manage to put an appology page up instead of their web site.
The actual broadband service wasn't affected.

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce:
Bethere had a big capacity problem too, due to a fibre break somewhere.
Maybe it was that that "killed" Demon?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version