Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Communications Consumer Panel (CCP) re Broadband Speed  (Read 2025 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Communications Consumer Panel (CCP) re Broadband Speed
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »

Gentlefolk,

I have made a submission to the Parliamentary Committee on broadband speed and note that I am not supposed to publish the material elsewhere whilst the Committee is in process. I was rather surprised to discover that the CCP have published their submission which can be found here:-

http://www.communicationsconsumerpanel.org.uk/Broadband%20Speeds%20Inquiry%20submission.pdf

Those who frequent this site will not be surprised that views in Ewhurst on this subject are not entirely in harmony with the views expressed by the CCP.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Communications Consumer Panel (CCP) re Broadband Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »

Thanks for that linky walter.

The comments on the 50p tax made some interesting reading!

I cant quote direct as it seems to be protected..  but I was a little bit surprised that people with broadband at home value it more highly than their mobile phone, landline or digital TV.
I wonder what cross section of people they surveyed.   People like my parents and their friends etc, dont seem to be too bothered about it.  Dad likes it because he keeps in touch with a relatives in Oz for cheap.. but I dont think theyd value it anywhere near as much as the others.
They use it cause its there...  and if it wasnt so cheap as part of another package I dont think they'd bother.  I had to nag them for years to go over to broadband rather than dialup.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »

Personally I wouldn't be happy paying a broadband tax if I had no need or interest in using the service.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »

My local MP had an email poll re. the "50p temporary levy" which resulted in more than 1500 replies, 64.1% saying no they did not agree with it.

An example of the reasons given are :

"public money should not be used to fund private enterprise"
"it wouldn't be a temporary levy, it would continue indefinitely"
"it will take a long time by which technology would have moved on making it obsolete"

An example of my own comments to the poll :-

"Apply a VAT rate to all broadband contracts at a different level to the standard rate, say 20% which would raise more revenue than the proposed 50 pence per month tax"

"A better solution to the whole broadband problem would be to create a nationalised broadband enterprise responsible for installing a dedicated fibre infrastructure, totally independent of the existing telephone landline system thus removing all broadband operational and financial responsibility from BT. The financing for this again could come from the users' subscriptions. Current ISPs would buy capacity from the nationalised enterprise and resell to their customers similar to that which currently exists with BT Wholesale selling its IPStream broadband product to ISPs"

It was the second comment that, surprisingly, interested my MP the most......and he's neither Labour nor Conservative !

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »

@oranged - I could not agree more with your second point. The sooner that the infrastructure is taken out of the hands of BT, the better as far as I'm concerned.

After all, they've had around 30 years to play with the network, and they still aren't using it properly.
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

anything