Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: broadband dropouts - every evening  (Read 2748 times)

dropout

• Just arrived
broadband dropouts - every evening
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:00:37 AM »

Hi,
Since late April I’ve had dropouts every single night between about 8.00 and 9.00 with no particular pattern. When it happens the crt monitor gets scrolling faint horizontal lines and some household appliances start to hum very quietly. I happen to have been up twice when the broadband reappeared, both times in the early morning, exactly when the street lighting switched off (but the dropouts don’t coincide with the street lights switching on – and I have looked closely to see if the lights are starting their switch-on cycle). I have tried different adsl filters, a new speedtouch wired modem and reloaded drivers from Tiscali. Tiscali are trying to figure it out and BT say the line is OK – we live in a semi-rural location which I guess could be at the outer end of the system but is only a mile or so from the exchange. The street lighting people say it is an old system with old style switching which shouldn’t affect anything. Given the link with street lights going off, but not with them switching on, do you think this is likely to be an SNR problem. Should I be able to get stats from an Ozenda AR4505GW router (and is this as good with poor SNR as the Netgear or DLink routers you recommend?).  Much appreciate suggestions.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: broadband dropouts - every evening
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:09 AM »

Hi dropout, and welcome.

If the interference between 8:00 and 9:00 pm is sufficient to affect your monitor and other electrical equipment, then I think that it must be caused by some fairly powerful (and probably defective) electrical appliance nearby. There's some information on the subject at http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/analoguetv/interference.shtml and you can get Ofcom to investigate if you're sure you're not causing it yourself.

Have you asked your neighbours if any of them are operating something at that time? An exercise treadmill for example would be the sort of thing which could cause this problem.

I've never heard of Ozenda I'm afraid, but given the widespread effects of the interference I doubt if changing your router would make much difference.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »

hi dropout

i had the problem where my central heating thermostat would knock-out my wireless broadband, wireless mouse and make lines on my tv.  this happened when the thermostat was just at the temperature when it was turning on the boiler.  if i listened to the thermostat i could hear it 'buzzing' at these times - changing the thermostat rectified the prob.

which household appliances are buzzing?  do they buzz all night?  coz as roseway said, it has to be a BIG interfearance problem.

paul
Paul

dropout

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »

Yes it seems odd but we have looked at everything in the house and nothing turns on or off at the random times between 8 and 9 in the evening. We are also a detached house about 15m from the nearest neighbour. A couple of older 15" crt telly's have lines but not a newish 15" crt - and a new large lcd telly buzzes quietly without the lines. It's a mystery at the moment. Any other ideas?

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 07:27:50 PM »

if possible, can u take 1 of the worst effected crt's to your neighbours house at 1 of the effected times and c if u get the same lines down the screen.  if u do get lines and theres no other major electrical equipment in the area, i would persue the street light scenario.  if u dont get lines on the screen at the neighbours house, and u r the same distance from the street lights as at your house, then u can safely say the interfearance is coming from somehwere in your house.

i very curde way of tracing the interfearance if it is in your house is to tune an am radio off chanel so you hear the crackling/humming and walk around your premises 2 c if it get louder in certain places.... may b able to pin-point it?
Paul

anything