Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: More BT Homehub Problems  (Read 3954 times)

Bikertone7

• Just arrived
More BT Homehub Problems
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »

Been reading the previous posts about BT speed issues. I have a problem that looks a bit different. (Sorry but I'm not much of techie!)

Been with BT about 6 weeks now (Orange kicked me for excess usage!!) Like the others I’ve spent ages talking to India but at least managed to do it for free using the following phone number 0800 3281605.

Had all sorts of bull p00 thrown at me but problem still not resolved.

My problem is that everything seems to work OK but from 1400hrs to about 2300hrs my speed is crap. Can damn near set my watch by it. Outside of these hours can upload files up to about 45kbs and download at a total of about 100 kbs. During the problem hours My max download drops to about 7 kbps and upload about the same 6 or 7kbs.

Done the usual speed tests which record results which differ only slightly from each other

IP profile 2000 kpbs. 448 upstream and 2464 kbps down actual IP achieved is 1833kpbs. This figures doesn’t alter very much no matter what time I run the tests.

Think I’m on a 2 or 3 meg connection.

I’ve also been running the test on 2wire.com speedmeter which give me a totally different readings such as 66.85, 73.17 and 76.92. To be honest I haven’t a clue what these numbers are telling me.

BT’s terms and conditions tell me B/w is restricted to heavy users during peak periods but my peak period last about 10 hours!!

Do you the BRAS settings mentioned in earlier posts could be affecting this??

Anyone else had the same experience or got any suggestions??.

Cheers

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
More BT Homehub Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:30:39 PM »

Im guessing you are using p2p? BT seem to be throttling this traffic at all times except between 3.00am and 3.01am
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
More BT Homehub Problems
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 08:36:11 PM »

Hi and welcome.

Ive seen many users reporting similar to what you have described . BTr are indeed throttling some of their users for "heavy usage".

How much have you used this month?

If you want to test your speed properly try this speedtester
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

>> Do you the BRAS settings mentioned in earlier posts could be affecting this??

No not at all - your profile of 2000 for a 2464 sync is correct..  and you can also see that on that test your IP throughput is 1833kbps and you arent being limited from there.

Speeds of 7kbs is pretty damn awful and even lower than you would expect to see from exchange congestion.  The very low rate combined with the fact that you can more or less set your clock by it implies high throttling to excess usage Im afraid. :/

The other area to eliminate though would be ensure that someone else isnt using your connection during these times.  Its not unknown for lil johnny next door to be "borrowing bandwidth" via an unsecure wireless network.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: More BT Homehub Problems
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:02:56 AM »

oh no..... not another 1 !

i get the same on my bt connection, 7kBs.  i take it u r using torrents?  other p2p traffic is ok 4 me.

i'm throttled between 1pm and 6am ... as u say, 2 the second usually.  if u take a look at my other 'rants' on kitz's forum u can c that i'm not getting very far with bt.  they wouldnt admit their throttling malarky until last week when they published it in their fair use policy, and with their financial outlay to buy these switches doin the biz being so high, i cant imagine they will unplug em coz we r maoning !

hmmmmm

Paul

Bikertone7

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »

Thanks for replies folks looks like there's nothing I can do about it. I only went back to BT because of they're'unlimited' offer. Was on Orange 'unlimited' but they bounced me for excess usage - how the hell can unlimited be set at 40 gig!! Daft thing is BT kicked me a couple of years ago as wwell for high usage. Should have realised ther'd be a catch!

Keep a note of the freephone number in case you ever need it.

Cheers

T.

Burrows

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »

yeh its the same with me, about 7kbs on p2p programs

tbh i jus wana get the BRAS profile thing sorted out  :)

but yeh, yet another problem from BT, i think they are very poor with customer service and having a call centre in india is more than likely the result of this.

paul49

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »

I was testing out a few P2P last week while I was off work, I do use bearshare lite and do get good speed(during the day)and the old slow down at night time, I did give u torrents a try got no more that 10kBs speed, I did then try abc torrents which was faster,like 200k speed(is that 2meg), for about 20 minutes.that was fine but in the end I was uploading more than I was downloading so gave up,
limewire was forever in a queue,  ares lite was ok very good speed, but the speed drop when I got to the end of the download, took 10 minutes to download 99% of the file, 1 hour to get the 1%

can anyone recommend a good P2P

Tef

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »

I use Utorrent  depending on seeds I can get 150k+ some times but seem limited to around 25-40k on upload terrible for you ratios :(