Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gov gives the green light to Limited "Unlimited"  (Read 4024 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Gov gives the green light to Limited "Unlimited"
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:24:15 PM »

On a topic close to my heart - the use of the word "Unlimited" to describe what is in effect a very much limited account.
There has been a petition to the government requesting that they stop ISPs from using the word "Unlimited" when describing packages that do indeed have limits or caps.

The Government has now responded..  which IMHO opens the floodgates for many more ISPs to abuse the term "Unlimited".

Source www.pm.gov

Qualifying an 'unlimited' claim with a fair usage policy in the small print of an ad is allowed as long as it really is fair and not misleading. For example, if 80% of domestic customers fall well within the limit specified by a broadband provider and the remaining 20% fall outside of it, perhaps because they are using a domestic package for business use, then it may be considered a reasonable claim.

This is disturbing news - with the vast majority of users using less than 4GB - does this now mean that anything much above this can be "unlimited".  As more and more less techy users come onboard and sign up to adsl, the average usage seems to be in decline.

As an example usage figures obtained from my own ISP would indicate that
50% of adsl users consume less than 2GB per month. 
80% of users use less than 6GB.
90% use less than 10GB
When you think that my own ISP doesn't particularly attract the n00bs, then the figures for say BT,AOL etc are going to be lower than this. :(

A step backwards me thinks...  and a disincentive to those ISPs that do try and be open about any limitations on their products.
Which package would you buy -
One with a cap of 10GB or one showing "Unlimited"..  when in actual fact the unlimited one may actually offer less :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Gov gives the green light to Limited "Unlimited"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:38:46 PM »

I know it's not an area that I have ever really stayed into, but so far I think I am glad to be with Virgin Media on a 4MB unlimited connection as I DL/UP something in the region of 30-40 GB per month and so far "touch wood" no cease and desist notices for high BW usage.

But yes, I also hate it each time I ever come across the wording Unlimited in the same sentence as "Fair Use Policy"

Good job I looked at your link first, as I nearly posted the same link to the Gov reply website.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:43:58 PM by oldfogy »

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 09:23:08 AM »

during 1 of my many calls to bt, i asked them to explain their adverts of 'unlimited' and 'all you'll ever need', after a bit of grunting and a few um's and er's he replied 'well ... it applies to most of our customers' .

charming !

Paul

big gee

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »

I also am on the VM 4mb " unlimited " deal like Oldfogy, but if I exceed a 750mb combined u/d limit between 4pm and midnight my connection is throttled down to 2 mb. I know this to be a fact as I checked it on http://www.speedtest.net/   :no:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't be saying too much then, as in the last 3 days my DL has been 12.1 GB (although it is sometimes much higher over that type of period) and UL of 24.0 GB

Maybe you should have a quite word to VM.
(Pleaseee don't mention me)  :angel:

big gee

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »

Your secret is safe with me mate, but you are not the only person to suggest that I have a word with VM.  I hear that they are losing BB customers bigtime at the moment with all the rumours about takeovers etc. Someone said that you will be offered a free upgrade to their top 20mb deal from the 4mb if you will just promise to stay with them. Makes the books look good apparently  ;)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 10:57:50 PM »

with all the rumours about takeovers etc.
What again.

Someone said that you will be offered a free upgrade to their top 20mb deal from the 4mb if you will just promise to stay with them.
Well that certainly sounds good. Where do I sign.
It would go well with the FREE Wireless BB router I had of them recently.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 05:04:39 AM »

Someone said that you will be offered a free upgrade to their top 20mb deal from the 4mb if you will just promise to stay with them.

Not quite, the catch is "for NEW customers" or existing customers on Virgins XL package (10mb)
Ours is only the M "medium package" L (Large package) but I will be phoning on Monday to see what they have to say if I say I am thinking of cancelling.  >:D

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

Well just an update, "I tried-it-on" with Virgin, (but no go though) to get a free BB upgrade would cost me an additional £11.00 P/M by upgrading my TV package to XL.

TV ??  ... ah that big thing in the corner of my living room that I do not either have the time or inclination to watch.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:39:10 PM by oldfogy »