Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cloud computing can't be relied on for data storage  (Read 2539 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Cloud computing can't be relied on for data storage
« on: October 13, 2009, 07:04:24 PM »

I think that most people would realise that trusting a remote third party with their private data is ill-advised to say the least. Now one such service managed by two very high profile companies has lost all its customers' data, and they're not happy.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/10/t-mobile-microsoftdanger-data-loss-is-bad-for-the-cloud.ars
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Cloud computing can't be relied on for data storage
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:20:49 PM »

Hmmm,

I'd always imagined that data storage would be the most useful (maybe only) benefit of cloud computing to me, as a fail-safe backup of non-sensitive data, on top of any local backups that I keep.  The trouble with local backups is that the DVDs that I keep in a cupboard are likely to perish in the same house fire that destroys my computers.

Still, any IT dept can make a mistake, and maybe the bad publicity from this will serve as an awakening to see it doesn't happen again.  It ought to be possible to store it safely. :o

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

I would be very uncomfortable with any remote organisation being the sole repository of my data, be it business or even home  / leisure. Assuming that Eric still has some relations, IMHO it be much wiser to entrust a back up DVD copy to them rather than relying on an external resource. In addition I rather like paying to purchase a single copy of a piece of software for me to use on my data rather than being faced with annual bills.

Kind regards,
Walter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »

Assuming that Eric still has some relations
I think maybe you meant me, not Eric?

In fact I was being economical with detail, my usual habit is to always take two copies when I make a backup.  The first sits in a cupboard in the study, the second is taken off-site - at least as far as the garage several yards away, and often to my workplace desk many miles away.  But I still think I'd sleep easier if I knew another easily accessible copy was being kept by a responsible cloud server.

rather than being faced with annual bills
Yikes, I'd not thought of having to pay for it.  I think I've just gone off the idea. :)

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »

The trouble with clouds is that apart from the integrity of back-ups, you don't know who has access to the data.

So, even if you are only keeping copies of personal correspondence in MS Word in the cloud, how do you know that someone else can't read it and use personal details to carry out identity theft?

At least if the data is on your machines behind a firewall, or on DVD's in the garage, an intruder would first have to break in somehow.

No, clouds always imply rain.

anything