Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Books which you've enjoyed  (Read 47424 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Books which you've enjoyed
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »

Thanks again. It seems to be out of print, but there are plenty of second hand copies available.

Amazon has new copies....£6.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nancy-Wake-Russell-Braddon/dp/0752454854/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312814989&sr=1-1

I find this site good for book searches

http://www.123pricecheck.com/Product-266239/0752454854-Nancy+Wake.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:53:03 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »

Thanks Phil.

Amazon is a funny company sometimes. When I did a search I found this page which only shows used copies. ???

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »

Thanks Phil.

Amazon is a funny company sometimes. When I did a search I found this page which only shows used copies. ???

Yes and also look a the variation in the amount of pages...your link = 304

My link = 288........ :shrug2:

I buy many books and I would say 98% of them come from Amazon(Sue is a keen reader,I myself don't read much)

Books by the authors, Charlaine Harris and Rachel Vincent are amongst her favourites.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:15:52 PM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »

Our copy as I say is from 1956  .....  published by the Northumberland Press.   I suspect the Amazon Book is the same but a but posher  ;D     Ours has some super photographs and maps,  and a short forward by Nancy Wake herself  ....   Russel Braddon says  ....       "The story that follows is Nancy Wake's; because of that I hare asked her to write the next and only important sentence on this page...."

'   I dedicate this book to  everyone in France who helped us, even if it was only by refraining from helping the enemy, for that in itself required courage;but especially I dedicate it to my comrades in the Maquis d'Auvergne   - Nancy Wake  '

I understand she will be cremated in London and her ashes scattered in Montluçon, France  -   where she carried out a lot of her heroic work. 

It's a well thumbed copy, a bit tatty, but well loved  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »

I too use Amazon a lot  ...both the UK and French sites   ..... excellent service !    Interestingly,  I recently had  a look at my ordering history with them both, and was amazed to see that it totalled in excess of £2300   !!! :o   

As this is the books topic  ....   Eric, how is the Kindle  ?     I've still not ordered mine, but it's only on hold  ;D    I have to get one from the USA and thus register for downloads with the .Com site  !!!   the books on there are much more expensive than in the UK   ..... I've spoken to Amazon about this and it all has to do with publishing laws  .....  however, they have recently opened a Kindle Store on their German site, so perhaps it won't be long before they do the same on the French site.     I have, in the meantime made a very long list of the free books from the US  ..... and there are a lot of new authors who look like they have some interesting works.       

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »

>>> Eric, how is the Kindle  ?

It's wonderful. Comfortable to read, and no strain on the eyes at all. I've collected quite a lot of books by authors I've never read before, so it's expanding my reading horizons a good deal. I'm currently reading some '20s detective stories by Carola Dunn, with her heroine Daisy Dalrymple. They're really enjoyable, and each book cost me just 99p. :)
  Eric

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 12:36:02 PM »

I'm sure someone has read a book since the last post  ;D     I thought I'd share a trilogy I read a while ago .   by Gretta Curran Browne - the Liberty Trilogy.  They are novels based on fact, and give an interesting and startling insight into Irish history.  Beautifully written, the first and third were the best in IMHO - available for Kindle too at a very good price.
It's today that matters !

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »

I've just reread this thread and thought I would post a comment. I bought a Kobo Touch fairly recently after some research. The main reason I bought it was they were cheap in Smiths at the time (£69, now back to £79) and unlike the Kindle at that time which didn't allow you to borrow books from your local Public Library. There has been talk of making an arrangement for the Kindle to do this but I'm not sure if it has happened. No matter, I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the Kobo and how convenient to be able to borrow from the library. Highly recommended.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »

I hadn't heard of a Kobo before, but I agree that it looks interesting. I hate to tell you this, Tony, but the Kobo Touch is currently on offer at half price with free delivery from WH Smith online: http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/kobo-touch-black-ereader/product/35487678 . Sorry about that. :)
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »

You're not sorry at all are you Eric! But I'm very satisfied with mine and Smiths in Salisbury threw in a black leather (?) case for free and they were selling them for £29 separately. I don't understand modern pricing at all!
Tony

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

I know the subject line is "Books which you've enjoyed" but I thought I would mention one that I started to read early this year but have finally had to admit defeat, after reading the first five chapters.

Fortunately it was not a physical book but just a PDF file, which it cost me nothing. Granted, it had not been written in English but in German. My understanding of German is very limited but the copy, with which I struggled, was an authorised English translation.

It turned out to be tedious, rambling and quite indigestible. When considered with "eyes of 2013", it clearly disclosed the psychotic state of mind of its author nearly 90 years ago.  >:(

To what book do I refer?  Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »

That doesn't sound like cheerful bedtime reading. :'(
  Eric

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »

I discovered  Philip Kerr and his character 'Bernie Gunther'  in Berlin Noir  - a trilogy,  quite a while ago.  Novels with 'historical facts' set in pre-war Berlin. An excellent complilation, you really get to know the main character and the research into Berlin life and the rise and effects of the Nazis (appears) very well researched and is convincing.    Subsequent titles . The One From The Other,  A Quiet Flame, If The Dead Rise Not, Field Gray, Prague Fatale,  and his latest  A Man Without Breath. 

I'm currently reading If the Dead Rise Not  ....   just thought anyone who like Chandler  style writing, might too enjoy these, and Berlin makes a change from the US !

:)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »

I was listening to a radio interview the other day with a German author, Timur Vermes, discussing his first book   'Look Who's back' which has, apparently,  been translated into 38 languages.  This the synopsis from the Amazon site  ....

"Berlin, Summer 2011. Adolf Hitler wakes up on a patch of open ground, alive and well. Things have changed - no Eva Braun, no Nazi party, no war. Hitler barely recognises his beloved Fatherland, filled with immigrants and run by a woman.

People certainly recognise him, albeit as a flawless impersonator who refuses to break character. The unthinkable, the inevitable happens, and the ranting Hitler goes viral, becomes a You Tube star, gets his own T.V. show, and people begin to listen. But the Führer has another programme with even greater ambition - to set the country he finds a shambles back to rights.

Look Who's Back stunned and then thrilled 1.5 million German readers with its fearless approach to the most taboo of subjects. Naive yet insightful, repellent yet strangely sympathetic, the revived Hitler unquestionably has a spring in his step"

It's downloaded to my Kindle, I'm in the middle of another book at the moment, this is next on the list.   It looks an 'interesting' read, to say the least !    I can't 'recommend it' as yet  ...   but thought it was interesting enough to mention now.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

I have a feeling that reading that book would upset me too much, but I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything