Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Books which you've enjoyed  (Read 47447 times)

scottiesmum

Re: Books which you've enjoyed
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »

A book I have been meaning to put on here for ages   .....      I'm reading one recommended by  TD   ....  Christ Stopped at Eboli  ... and it reminded me  (although I shouldn't have needed reminding ) of  Clochemerle  by Gabriel Chevallier .....   it's a marvellous book  ... one both hubby and I read over and over ....  set in the Beaujolais region it revolves around a plan to install a new public urinal in the village .......  it will make you smile  ! :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:11 AM »

Another book I'd forgotten about  ...  but have read again recently   ...  The Queen and I by Sue Townsend   ...    it's a little irreverent to the Royals .....  but very funny.....

a brief synopsis whilst not wanting  to give anything away ...  ....   The Royal family are living in a semi-detached in the Midlands   !!!!   perhaps a little dated now, it was written in 2002 ...  but anyone who enjoys a wry titter might be interested.   :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »

Two I have recently read......so recently that I am only halfway through the second one.. ;D

"The Snow Leopard" and "The Tree Where Man Was Born" both by Peter Matthiessen.

Travel mixed with anthropology, with philosophy, with history and with zoology.......difficult going in parts but well worth the effort  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »

I have favourite books which I read  again and again   .....  some of which I've already posted about .....   another one which was written in 1861 by Mrs. Henry Wood, is East Lynne ...... I'm not sure I'd describe this as a 'woman's book'   .....  as I think the use of the English language will delight any reader ....  I've copied the  following  from the fly sheet  ......

The main plot of East Lynne (underscored by a linked sub-plot concerned with murder) is concerned with love and marriage. It turns upon the axis of the sexual fall of its heroine, Lady Isabel Vane, to one of the most superbly malevolent and caddish villains in all Victorian literature, Francis Levison. Its morality is retributive and unforgiving. The divorced Lady Isabel returns as unrecognised governess to her own children, living on through the second half of the novel with the status of a wraith, or spectre, as if fetched from her grave. At the very moment of her sexual 'sin' she morally dies: is to be considered as a walking, watching corpse of womanhood, her features scarred by the train-accident, her eyes mere optic nerves peering through the disfiguring green lens of disguising spectacles, seeing but unseen, her bastard child dead, her husband lost to Another, her legitimate son dying under her eyes. No one can see her. When she is recognized, the servant faints with terror, thinking her a ghost. She ought to be, and would definitely be happier, in the grave. For her existence is cancelled. This is demonstrable, for she is replaced. Her vacated place is taken, the wronged husband taking to his bosom a replacement wife, who assumes the attributes and most of the habits of her predecessor: sings her songs at her piano, bears the good man's children, hangs on his every word.

I have read it several times and it never fails to give me a 'jolt'  of emotion !

scottiesmum

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

An 'oldie' turned up again the other day at a reasonable price so I treated myself   ....  J.B.  Priestley's   The Good Companions.  It's years since I read it,  but remember enjoying it very much  ...   can't believe it was written in 1929  !    for those who haven't read it, it's a joy !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »

Ah yes...............I knew unkyUb reminded me of someone........Jess Oakroyd... :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

:lol:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:00:48 PM by scottiesmum »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »

Ah yes...............I knew unkyUb reminded me of someone........Jess Oakroyd... :D
Jess Oakroyd, an amiable man who has abandoned his shrewish wife, endears himself to the company with his homespun advice, and they invite him to join them as a carpenter, baggage handle
The novel is written in picaresque style, and opens with the middle aged, discontented Jess Oakroyd in the fictional Yorkshire town of Bruddersford. He opts to leave his family and seek adventure "on t'road" (throughout the novel Priestley uses dialect for all non-RP speakers of English). He heads south down the Great North Road.
Intertwined with the story of Oakroyd's travels are those of Elizabeth Trant and Inigo Jollifant, two similarly malcontented individuals. Miss Trant is an upper-middle class spinster and Jollifant is a teacher at a down-at-heel private school. All three ultimately encounter each other when a failing concert troupe ('The Dinky Doos') are disbanding as a result of their manager running off with the takings. The independently wealthy Miss Trant, against the advice of her relatives, decides to refloat the troupe, now known as 'The Good Companions'. Inigo plays piano, Oakroyd is the odd-job man, and other assorted characters including members of the original troupe: including Jimmy Nunn, Jerry Jerningham and Susie Dean, along with Mr Morton Mitcham (a travelling banjo player whom Inigo met earlier on his own odyssey) have various adventures round the shires of middle England

What a life I've had  :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »

:D

scottiesmum

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »

;D

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »

THought I would bump this thread and maybe get comments on Kindle Ebooks you may have found a good read.

scottiesmum

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »

I've just seen the report of the death of Nancy Wake at the age of 98.  For anyone who hasn't read  a  Biography, I would highly recommend they do  ... She was born in New Zealand, brought up in Australia; she moved to Europe where she worked as a journalist  -   she joined  French Resistance in 1940  .....a marvellous woman, a marvellous story.    France awarded her its highest honour, the Legion D'Honneur; she also received Britain's George Medal, and the US Medal of Freedom. In 2004, she was made Companion of the Order of Australia.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »

Good heavens, that's some achievement! Thanks Kate, I'll take a look.

Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »

Eric  ....  should have mentioned the book I was thinking of   ....Nancy Wake:  by Russel Braddon ,  our copy published in 1956,  is  one we've had for years and have read it several times.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »

Thanks again. It seems to be out of print, but there are plenty of second hand copies available.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything