Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Books which you've enjoyed  (Read 47426 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Books which you've enjoyed
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

By popular request (well, two people anyway) here's a place where you can talk about those extra special books which you've read and would like to recommend; those books which really stand out above the crowd. I'll make it sticky so it stays at the top, and we'll see how it goes.
  Eric

scottiesmum

Re: Books which you've enjoyed
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »

I'll repeat  my  2 most recent reads   : -

The Ghost   . ...Robert Harris
The Camel Club   ..   David Baldacci

Another 2 I would highly recommend   ..... I found  both of these extremely powerful books, and I suspect they are more biographical than fiction !

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns both by Khaled Hosseini    ....       

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:23:40 PM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »

My two all times favourites......read so often that the books are falling to pieces. In fact, the first named, I am on either my eight or ninth copy.

1) The Story of San Michele..................Axel Munthe

2) Christ Stopped at Eboli.................Carlo Levi

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »

I've looked those up TD and I think I could lose myself in them;  I have taken up your recommendation and they are now on order ....   Thank you.      They have also opened up other options by the same authors    :)   

One book I re-read was given to me by my mother when I was in my teens, Our Dearest Emma  by Lozania Prole  ..... it tells the story of the love affair between Horatio Nelson and Lady Hamilton.  I found it magical then, and I still do !    Sadly the original  was lent to someone who then lost it  :(  but I have a copy. 

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:30 AM »

For anyone who might be interested in unusual WW2 history ...  British woman, Susan Travers, was the only woman to officially serve in the French Foreign Legion.  Her story is quite fascinating and can be read in :-

Tomorrow to Be Brave

She wrote the book in 2000  (having waited for the main people in her story to have died)    She died in 2003 at the age of 94 .....

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »

Aha...great minds etc.. ;D

I was reading over the weekend of this book and have in fact just bought a used copy off Amazon to give to a fellow of the village here on his birthday. He claims that his uncle was in the FL and knew the woman Travers.
I will of course have a wee read before passing it on  ;)

Have currently revisited another of my favourites.....I have always been fascinated by Africa and all things African, and very often read what to me is the definitive volume on that continent......."The Tree Where Man Was Born" by Peter Matthiessen.

Happy reading  ;)

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »

I've had the book Tomorrow be Brave for a few years now  ....  and it was the same article ( I think) that reminded me.   I enjoyed the book immensely,   but I didn't like her very much.

I'm off to look up your latest mention TD  :)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »

Ok, here's 2 of my favourite books

1) Cloud Atlas

2) The Time Travellers Wife (now also a film)
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »

The Carlo Levi book arrive this morning    ....   hubby has grabbed it    :o     .....  looking forward to him finishing it  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »

Typical male.... :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »

I've had Wild Swans for several years, a marvellous but harrowing account .....   we really don't know how lucky we are do we !   It's one of those books that you 'keep'    ...   I've learned the hard way to be careful which books I lend  !!!! 

The Axel Munthe book arrived yesterday   ....  just in the middle of another then I shall get into that !  :)

Another excellent book, which has been translated into English  ....  Marcel Pagnol's     Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources   ...  it was made into a film which is an excellent adaptation.  I'm not sure if the film has been released in English; I watch the French version over and over and have read the book several times.....       

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »

[Q by Luther Blissett/b]

Set in the 16th century and connects about 50 years of various bits of history around the Anabaptist movement in one story. I found about 3/4 of it very well written apart from some bits which seemed a bit disjointed. Ibought the book because of the authors name thinking"It couldn;t be the exfootballer ?" turns out it was written by 4 italian writers.if you do read it, one bit of advice, keep checking the date at the begining of each chapter as the book does jump back and forth in time.

The No.1 Ladies detective agency by Alexander McCall-Smith(look under S for the authour in bookshops unless its just a norwich thing)

Series

One for you TD as this has got me facinated by Botswana. I first picked up on the dramatisations on radio4. I've read the whole series of books. The stories are very endearing although the good natured method of writting has been critisized in some quarters; many fans find the different style to the typical one of the big appeals of the books. And of couse there was the movie and series on bbc tv, you can see 9 min segements on you tube if you want a flavor of the books

To Kill a Mocking bird by Harper-Lee

Such a classic, beautifully written.

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Romantic sports comedy, insitefull. vaugely based on true occurences. Follows the story of a man from the the timein his child hood as he trys to make sence of his parents divorce but developing an obsession which becomes like a surrogate family member until events make him slowly gain persepective of life.

romance loving sports hating reader would enjoy as would a sports loving romance hating reader !st time I lent a copy to a sports loathing friend she was roaring with laughter in notime and couldn;t putit down. yes i first read it in part as it was centered around the football team i support but this is incidental & it wouldn't matter what team or sport it was written about. had been made into a film in the uk, and a terrible/dire us remake

Jean de florette / Manon des Sources, 2 of my favorate films, must look for the books, thanks for that tip

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »

Peter Kay - The Sound of Laughter

Excellent laugh :D Also at the same time learnt things I didn't about him!

Peter Kay - Saturday Night Peter

Currently reading this so far so good (especially as I only paid a fiver for it on Amazon!)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 07:18:43 AM »

I bet this is an excellent read,I think I will get this.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780747593362/The-Last-Fighting-Tommy

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »

Well I have lots of Brownie points today   :angel: ....  I ordered 4 titles by Stephen E Ambrose   ( he wrote  Band of Brothers ) for hubby as a surprise   ..and they arrived today  !    So a very tranquil time ahead    >:D

Stephen Ambrose is a pre-eminent World War II historian and, using interviews, journals and letters, the author tells, often in their own words ,the story of  the heroes in these events. 

The titles received today are,  Pegasus Bridge,   D.Day,   Citizen Soldiers  and Wild Blue.     
Pages: [1] 2 3 4