Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 5212 times)

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
Firefox
« on: September 27, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

Sorry to start a thread, i did say i wasn't going to but after looking around i can't see the answer.

On some websites i get the little lock in the corner of my Firefox page, with a little red line through it, almost like there's something wrong.

It is on legitimate sites though and not all the time.

For example, Wink bingo (not me on it, it's the mrs) Lol.

Any ideas?  Google hasn't brought any results. 

Cheers guys.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Firefox
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »

Hi Deeeeej,

I use Firefox and have just looked at the wink bingo site,its not showing any little lock for me and seems ok.

This is handy to have as a FF extension.

http://www.mywot.com/

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »

@unky - I use that and VERY useful it is too.  Saved me from a few risky sites after Googling for answers.  Good tip!

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »

Hi

Same as uncUB no lock and given all clear using WOT

Regards Jeff
zen user

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:06:47 PM »

Hmmm, what reason could it be then.

Another one just noticed it on is Paddypower bingo.

Strange, is it anything to worry about?

When hovering over it it says. Warning: contains unauthenticicated content.

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 07:41:18 PM »

Is the " little lock "  you describe DJ,  the padlock for secure payments on line  ?    With them both being 'bingo' sites I can only assume it is.  If this icon has a red warning sign through it, I would strongly advise NOT to enter  any credit card details.  The WOT add on in Fire Fox  (which I also use) does alert you when a site is a security risk; ie  could be the cause of something nasty infiltrating your system  etc.,  and to be avoided   !     BUT a warning sign on a padlock  means that the encryption is not secure and is a DEFINITE warning NOT to divulge any personal information.     hth.    :)   (and hope I'm correct !!! ::)

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »

Is the " little lock "  you describe DJ,  the padlock for secure payments on line  ?    With them both being 'bingo' sites I can only assume it is.  If this icon has a red warning sign through it, I would strongly advise NOT to enter  any credit card details.  The WOT add on in Fire Fox  (which I also use) does alert you when a site is a security risk; ie  could be the cause of something nasty infiltrating your system  etc.,  and to be avoided   !     BUT a warning sign on a padlock  means that the encryption is not secure and is a DEFINITE warning NOT to divulge any personal information.     hth.    :)   (and hope I'm correct !!! ::)

that's what i thought, although a few other people have said it may be something to do with the pictures on the websites or other areas it may have on, and not to worry.

Never had a problem before that's the strange thing.

What's the best thing to do use to check my computers all 'clean' and there's nothing nasty on it.

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »

I have Spybot, Malwarebytes  Spywareblaster installed.  The latter being a small programme that works in the background constantly.   Everyone has their own favourites and ideas .   If you go to the top of this Forum and click on  SOFTWARE, you will get a comprehensive list of recommended Anti malware, Antivirus (which you should have) Firewalls etc.    Have a look at those and choose a couple of anti-malware;  I certainly recommend the ones I have installed.  You definitely should have an Antivirus, a popular one is Avast; and a Firewall.   The links to the programmes are given.   Once installed, give your system a good 'seeing over' by (for instance)  Spybot and Malwarebytes or Adaware if you prefer.  Make sure you update the programmes before you start them checking your machine.    All of them have a quarantine facility so that if you do put something in quarantine it can be restored (if necessary) later, as opposed to getting rid of something permanently which MIGHT just be needed.  You should run your AV too.     Doing all this should give you a clear indication of anything that is there that shouldn't be. I always say, if in doubt do nothing !  so if you do find something, ask on here again as to what to do.

I hope this helps  ....  I'm sure others will be along to offer their assistance/advice, and I would say they are far more in the know than I am.....  I just wanted to help you in the meantime  :)

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 01:22:40 PM »

I have Spybot, Malwarebytes  Spywareblaster installed.  The latter being a small programme that works in the background constantly.   Everyone has their own favourites and ideas .   If you go to the top of this Forum and click on  SOFTWARE, you will get a comprehensive list of recommended Anti malware, Antivirus (which you should have) Firewalls etc.    Have a look at those and choose a couple of anti-malware;  I certainly recommend the ones I have installed.  You definitely should have an Antivirus, a popular one is Avast; and a Firewall.   The links to the programmes are given.   Once installed, give your system a good 'seeing over' by (for instance)  Spybot and Malwarebytes or Adaware if you prefer.  Make sure you update the programmes before you start them checking your machine.    All of them have a quarantine facility so that if you do put something in quarantine it can be restored (if necessary) later, as opposed to getting rid of something permanently which MIGHT just be needed.  You should run your AV too.     Doing all this should give you a clear indication of anything that is there that shouldn't be. I always say, if in doubt do nothing !  so if you do find something, ask on here again as to what to do.

I hope this helps  ....  I'm sure others will be along to offer their assistance/advice, and I would say they are far more in the know than I am.....  I just wanted to help you in the meantime  :)

Cheers mate, will download Spybot when i get home tonight.

Any chance you got a link for the download anywhere?  Like i said not at home now but going to forward it on to my dad as well now.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »