Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BRAS Profile updating  (Read 4228 times)

dejjones

• Just arrived
BRAS Profile updating
« on: June 30, 2007, 10:50:28 AM »

For about the last month my broadband connection has been rock solid, synchronised at between 4800 & 5200kbps,  with a BRAS setting of 4000kbps and a SNR figure of around 12db.

Having read your excellent tutorial on using the DMT Tool, I have managed to increase my synch speed to 6050 by reducing the SNR figure to around 9db.

Great, I thought, now all I have to do is wait for 3 days, and if the connection remains stable, my BRAS setting will increase. But to my surprise within an hour it had increased to 4500, and then within another few hours it has increased to 5000!

Does this mean BT’s 3 day policy has changed, or is there some other reason for such a quick update?

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
Re: BRAS Profile updating
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 01:22:53 PM »

I have noticed this before too, after resynching I have had a profile rise within a few hours.
Strangely though, when I lost synch overnight then forced a faster resynch the next day my profile was still 4meg despite fully expecting it to have fallen.
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

BTw are doing some work on a lot of exchanges at the mo..  and I have also heard that the bRAS profiling is under review.
As Chris says, this isnt the first time weve seen this happen. 

There have been a lot of complaints in the past about how you have to wait the 3 days before increases, so if they are trying to do a work around this is no bad thing :)
I dont think BT have released any firm info right now because they are still tinkering with things.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

BTw are doing some work on a lot of exchanges at the mo.. 

especially those new underwater exchanges in Yorkshire
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »

yeah - not good :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »

The same thing happened to me yesterday - my IP profile went up by 500 kbps within a few hours of rebooting the router and syncing at a higher speed.
  Eric

dejjones

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »

Back in April/May I had a ticket running with my ISP, trying to resolve why my speed had suddenly reduced dramatically.

After a long painful process it emerged that the probable cause was that my SNR margin setting had been raised to 12db.
In the process I regraded my broadband package and also changed my modem from a USB modem to a router/modem; at the end of this my speed had more or less returned to its previous level, but my SNR margin is still up at 12db.

What surprises me is, that in all the discussion with support staff associated with this problem, no mention of the DMT tool and it's usefulness in this situation was ever made.
Does this mean that ISP support staff are not aware of it, or are we not supposed to know about it?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »

>> Does this mean that ISP support staff are not aware of it, or are we not supposed to know about it?

I should imagine that the vast majority of CS staff in the larger ISPs (particulary those with foreign call centers) such as AOL, BT, Wanadoo, Tiscali, TT etc wouldnt know, since unfortunately most of them dont even have an understanding of how UK adsl works nevermind know what SNR is. :/

Most of their "training" seems to revolve around things like the basic PC problems such as reboot the PC type of thing and is mostly scripted.  About a year or so I received mail from a head of department of a troubleshooting team from one of the largest ISPs, who aside from having a foreign call center also still have a few teams in the UK.  He told me that he makes sure all his (uk) team have a read of my site in addition to their normal training to help aid understanding.

I should imagine most of CS from the "smaller" type ISPs such as Zen, PlusNet, IDNet, Enta re-sellers will have an idea of what SNR actually is and how important it is when on MAXdsl.  Although spot the trend - these ISPs have UK call centers.  Some of them may be aware of DMT.

However, the problem also is that not everyone would know (or even want to try and understand) how DMT tool works.  It may in itself be a bit too complicated for your average adsl user particularly since the site is in german, therefore even if they are aware then they may not suggest it.  The average adsl user just simply expects things to work and not have to tweak anything.

>> that my SNR margin setting had been raised to 12db.

Then there is the little known fact that your Target SNR is a configurable aspect of the DLM and it is set in your BTw profile.  It is possible to get your ISP to amend this and get it set to something else.  But here we have a bigger problem in that although not all ISP CS know what is configurable within the profile..  but if they request the change..  then on occasions the ISP themselves can enter into a game of ticket-tennis with BTWholesale staff when trying to get it changed.
I know my own ISP has had some battles involving ping-pong tickets to BTw when trying to get what should be simple things like Interleaving OFF and changes to target SNR.  :(

-----

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 01:59:40 PM »

[quote
Does this mean that ISP support staff are not aware of it, or are we not supposed to know about it?
[/quote]

u're with BT .... i'd be supprised if their CC staff dont need help dressing themselves each morning !

Paul