Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: O2 Router  (Read 21749 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
O2 Router
« on: September 24, 2009, 12:59:02 PM »

Hi all,

First of all my O2 router has arrived.

One thing I have noticed is the ethernet cable is not as thick as my existing BT,and not as long,although I think it will be ok.

Can I use my existing BT ethernet cable,or is that on wise/possible.

And secondly I know you guys have told me not to bother with the CD,so do I just connect up the router,open my browser and type in.http://192.168.1.254.

I notice on the bottom of the router it says,your user name is 'Administrator' but you can leave the password blank as default.

Another what might seem a daft question is,do I have to close down the computer before removing the ethernet cable and old router and connect the new one up,or can this be done safely while the computer is on?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: O2 Router
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »

First of all my O2 router has arrived.

:thumbs:

One thing I have noticed is the ethernet cable is not as thick as my existing BT,and not as long,although I think it will be ok.

Can I use my existing BT ethernet cable,or is that on wise/possible.

Yes you can, no problem at all.

And secondly I know you guys have told me not to bother with the CD,so do I just connect up the router,open my browser and type in.http://192.168.1.254.

I notice on the bottom of the router it says,your user name is 'Administrator' but you can leave the password blank as default.

That's exactly what you do. Your browser will ask you for the name and password, and you just fill in the name and leave the password box empty.

Another what might seem a daft question is,do I have to close down the computer before removing the ethernet cable and old router and connect the new one up,or can this be done safely while the computer is on?

You can connect and disconnect ethernet cables while the computer is on, with no problems. But you should reboot the computer after connecting to the new router, with the router switched on, so that the computer picks up its IP address from the new router.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »

Thank you very much Eric.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »

You're very welcome. :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »

After looking at the router and seeing the vent underneath and the small feet it sits on,I.m wondering if it gets quite warm and would be better sat on a couple of little blocks to let more air get underneath.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »

Yes, I've never had an overheating problem but I have mine standing on its front (where the wireless button is) with the aerial uppermost but others I heard of leave it in the normal axis and just prop up one end or side.

If you look underneath, there are fixing slots for wall-mounting if that's more convenient.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »

If you look underneath, there are fixing slots for wall-mounting if that's more convenient.

I personally have my TG784 on the wall.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »

Have you received the O2 security email about the user/password change for the O2 router?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »

Have you received the O2 security email about the user/password change for the O2 router?

No,nothing at all..........Whats that all about,do I need to contact O2.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:23:55 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:04:30 PM »

I should imagine (hope!) that the new routers are shipped out with the fix already applied..  as theyve already applied the fix to existing connections?

UB..

Check the password for your router log in..   
If its  O2Br0ad64nd...  then make sure you change it and put your own passy in.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:29:57 AM »

I should imagine (hope!) that the new routers are shipped out with the fix already applied..  as theyve already applied the fix to existing connections?

UB..

Check the password for your router log in..   
If its  O2Br0ad64nd...  then make sure you change it and put your own passy in.

I thought that O2Br0ad64nd along with the word, SuperUser was the password and user name to access your O2 router stats.So are you saying that the password can be changed and still access your router stats.
So what is the the word Administrator used for......is that for when I first connect up to O2?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »

There are 2 userids you can use :

Administrator is the low level one used for looking at certain data
SuperUser is the high level one for making changes to config
Your own userid, which you can create, can be set to the high level privileges and use a password that only you know.....this is what I use.

Try logging on as SuperUser with a password which is the serial number of your router, it's something like CP123456789 as I reckon Kitz is correct as your router was sent out just before the change was announced.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »

Hi,

all I did was connect the router up and then opend my browser on to my homepage,that was it.

I used the link on Kitz router stats page to get my line stats using the name SuperUser and password O2Br0ad64nd to them.

When I click on Administrator a box opens to change the password.The old password box is blank?Is it necessary to set up a password as there is only me uses the PC.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »

Is it necessary to set up a password as there is only me uses the PC

Yes.....that is the reason O2 has changed the userid+password protocol. They identified a weakness in the old protocol.

Everybody who frequents broadband forums knew the O2 router's main two sign-on details.

As I advised in my post above, it is best to create your own userid and password allocating the SuperUser privileges to it.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »

I would recommend that you create and imput your own password, the work of a few seconds and a lot of added security.  :)

Oh, and disable the wireless capability if you are not using it.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything