Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Safari worry  (Read 3319 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Safari worry
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:55:30 PM »

A question for the forum's Safari experts...

I recently added a MAC to my collection of computers and, unsurprisingly, I'm using safari as the browser.

An hour or two ago, I logged into my router, being prompted for user & password.  I looked at some stuff then closed the safari window.

A bit later I typed in my router's IP address again, to find it logged me straight in, no need for a username or password.

It seems the only way to get Safari to ask for a login prompt is to close & reopen the Safari application.  This worries me as it may open up vulnerabilities, such as when a malicious website tricks you into clicking on a link to (say) 192.168.1.254/xxxxxxxxxx, thus manipulating your router via it's  GUI configuration.    This vulnerability (if that's what it is) doesn't seem to happen with IE.  If I connect  to the router with IE it always prompts me for username & password, even if I'm already logged in at a different window.

I'm new to MAC and new to Safari, so I'm probably missing something, but what?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Safari worry
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:36 AM »

One of the recognised weaknesses of Safari on a MAC is that it does not have a built in password manager, so will not remember passwords or even the need to use one, nor recognise where and when they are desirable.

Apple's answer is to go to http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/1passwordpasswordmanagerandformfiller.html and download/ install that password manager.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »

With not having a mac I dont know much about this.. and whether it was related or not..   but there was a user on here last week who uses Safari and he was having all sorts of weird things happen with logins.

eg his router login and his forum login.

Apparently it all sorted when he started using Firefox.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »

I'm afraid I don't know enough about html interfaces to really define the situation, but the symptoms are that, after I log into the router, Safari seems to 'remember' that login and allows other Safari windows to access the router without a password.   Even if I Quit the login window and open a new one, it seems to be already logged in.

IE, in contrast, prompts for user/password for every access to the router's login page, even if there's another window on the desk top already logged in.  I can't help feeling that makes IE the more secure.  But it's not an issue I need to fix.  The Mac's just a means to an end as I wanted to play with the IPhone SDK.  I'll still be using my XP boxes for most things, including any router admin. 

Not that there should be such a frequent need for router 'admin', now that my target's finally back where it belongs. ;D

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 06:11:52 PM »

Hi

quote  : now that my target's finally back where it belongs

Tempting fate  :lol:

touch wood

Regards Jeff
zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »

Hi

quote  : now that my target's finally back where it belongs

Tempting fate  :lol:

touch wood

Regards Jeff

I have absolute confidence that the higher margin was caused solely by excessive manual resyncs when I didn't know better, and I won't make that mistake again.   But I must admit my fingers do seem to subconsciously cross themselves every time I check it, and the sudden inrush of oxygen when I see it's still alright makes me realise I'd been holding my breath too   ;)

anything