Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Freeview 'Re Tune'  (Read 32147 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Freeview 'Re Tune'
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »

@tonyappuk

Ok, thanks for that Tony. I'll do a factory settings reset and then a retune. That ought to fix the damned thing !!!!

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:17 PM »

The retune didn't help my in-laws in Peterborough at all, wasn't it supposed to improve Ch5 among other things?
Still no Channel 5 or ITV for them on digital.
(something to do with low power from Sandy Heath on the relevant channels)
So they have to use analogue for that, which gets confusing (both in their 90's).

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »

HPSauce CH5 changes were the reason for the latest triumph of technology that is Freeview. Maybe a factory reset would help in your case but no guarantee.
Tony

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »

Well, it looks as if the factory settings reset may have cracked my problem, but YMMV.

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »

I seem to have lost the BBC channels, and am having to go through the retuning process each time I switch on my TV. Does anyone know why that might be. I'm in the Mendip TV region I think.

toulouse

I am on a relay off the Mendip transmiter or at least I used to be.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »

I think that some people will lose Ch5 and some ITV channels like 2 3 or 4 (cant remember which), all of this should be fixed when switchover happens.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

Seem to have lost all signal since sometime after midnight last night.   I thought it may fix itself today but still nothing but the blue and red freeview thingy.

Ive done a rescan and all I can get is BBC Wales...  everything other than that has gone.  :'(

WinterHill Transmitter.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »

Looks like something is happening today at WinterHill

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/granada/winter_hill

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

Yep they did something last night..  I'm trying to search myself to find out what to do.

Our original date was 4th Nov - I did a retune then that went okish.

What they seem to have done last night is Winter Hill transmitter is meant to be the 1st in the country to go Freeview HD.
Seems like Im not the only one this morning in Granada land who cant get anything

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=dcff5e7184e8a9fb9e3401426911d5d1&t=1173715&page=7

Looks like I shall have to try a rescan without the ariel..   then plug in and try again.

Wish me luck
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 10:12:46 AM »

Good luck :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »

Getting really peed off now.

Ive got the TV upstairs working...  but what a mess with the one in the lounge.
Channels are all over the damn place and Ive spent ages messing around.

Ive now got ITV on channel 49 CBeebies on channel 2 and nothing is in the right place.
Think Im going to have to do a manual tune or something.
Ive found a list of what channels should be at what number

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/multiplexes.shtml

Now I need to find a list on  what channels should be at what frequencies...  and read my TV manual to find out what I should do to try sort this.

What a damn PITA this is.  ???
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »

If that fails a reset to "default" or back to square one will clear the memory and allow new information to be stored. This seems necessary with some tuners. You may have to search the setup menu quite carefully to find this option. If you do a full reset a manual scan shouldn't be necessary.
Tony

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 11:35:41 AM »

Sorry to hear it's giving you grief, Kitz.

I got the phone call from my parents the other day, that I'd been expecting since the big retune a few weeks ago.  Their HDD recorder "wouldn't record anymore".  It turned out, of course, that it needed retuned.

The reason they'd waited so long was that I bought the HDD recorder for them, and they were afraid I'd be upset to hear it was broken.  So they'd lived without it for several weeks before admitting here was any problem.  I wonder how many households, especially elderly, are just soldiering on without proper TV these days...?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »

If that fails a reset to "default" or back to square one will clear the memory and allow new information to be stored. This seems necessary with some tuners. You may have to search the setup menu quite carefully to find this option. If you do a full reset a manual scan shouldn't be necessary.
Tony

Thanks for that suggestion tony...  but I tried a factory reset about an hour ago.
I then started a fresh scan, and thats where I am now..  with channels all over the show.

Ive even manually deleted every channel from the memory one by one so there was nothing in there at all..  I thought that may work, but as soon as I did the scan its back to weird channels.

Ive just brought the lappy downstairs to see if I can get a channel list and sit in front of it down here.

----

I still have to sort the TV upstairs as thats picking up BBC Wales rather than BBC north west.  According to what Ive seen that has to be manually retuned as its a known problem to a lot of people, and there's no other way of doing that. However for the time being Im leaving the upstairs tv as although its Wales... at least I do have some sort of TV.

:wall:
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »

I wonder how many households, especially elderly, are just soldiering on without proper TV these days...?

I should imagine theres an awful lot today that have no tv.   If I didnt have access to the net and the patience (which is rapidly now running out) to sit here and try sort out the mess.  Thank god my parents have sky...  they wouldnt have a clue where to start.
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

anything