Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Freeview 'Re Tune'  (Read 32152 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Freeview 'Re Tune'
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:54:39 AM »

Did you know that on September 30th 2009 you have to re tune your Freeview Box(if you have one).

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Resolutions/About-Channels/Retuning/Freeview-national-retune-30-September-2009

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Freeview 'Re Tune'
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »

I did one of our box's about two weeks ago and then we could Not get BBC1 or BBC2 (it said poor or no signal  :'() But after doing without the two channels for two weeks and getting a lot of earache about it I re-tuned it again last night and all seams ok.
Another box (different make ) updated without any problems, see how many more have I got to do  >:(..

Anybody gone through the channels after 1am  :-[   :o .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »

>>> Anybody gone through the channels after 1am

Thankfully I'm never awake at that time :angel:
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »

As I understand it this time you cannot do a retune now and have it work after midday on the 30th. You have to wait until then to retune. Heaven only knows why they are messing around like this, must be causing lots of concern for people who are not familiar with technology. My wife is up in arms about it and simply refuses to get involved, she usually only watches analogue channels anyway and cant hack digital text either. In her view it would have been fine to leave it as it was with channels 1-4.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »

Hi,
http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Resolutions/About-Channels/Retuning/Freeview-national-retune-30-September-2009

says:

Freeview national retune 30 September 2009

I've heard I need to retune my Freeview equipment on or after 30/09/2009 - is this true?

Yes - all viewers with a Freeview digital TV or box (including homes with Top Up TV and BT Vision) will need to retune their equipment on or after Wednesday 30 September 2009, to continue receiving their available digital channels. On the day, viewers should retune from lunchtime onwards.

Why is this happening?

The retune will pave the way for Channel Five to become as widely available on Freeview as the other terrestrial channels at digital television switchover. In addition technical preparations for future improvements to the Freeview service (such as Freeview HD) are being made.

Freeview will confirm further details about the new Freeview HD service soon.

What time do I need to retune?

Viewers using a Freeview TV or box should retune from lunchtime onwards. The technical changes have been planned to avoid peak TV viewing hours and minimise disruption. If you retune before lunchtime you will find that some services are unavailable.

Cheers,
Peter

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:36:43 PM »

Still does not really explain why the messed up to begin with. The whole Freeview thing has been cobbled together in my view with little or no coherent thought behind it, they just let it grow like topsy then discover it wont fit together and do this every few months. Lasy year we had the fiasco where several older pieces of equipment would not handle the new Network Information Table - I'm just waiting for the next big **** (add your own expletive) up.

All this messing around is fine for people who are used to technology but for 1000's of folk who just want to watch TV its a right mess.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »

Still does not really explain why the messed up to begin with. The whole Freeview thing has been cobbled together in my view with little or no coherent thought behind it, they just let it grow like topsy then discover it wont fit together and do this every few months.

Yep, they seem to be allowed to make it up as they go along, and 'sod the consumers'. 

All this messing around is fine for people who are used to technology but for 1000's of folk who just want to watch TV its a right mess.
I guess I better brace myself for a lengthy phone call from Mum & Dad on 1st October, as I struggle to describe what they need to do for their freeview STB and freeview HDD recorder.  I'm surprised they've not already been on the phone to tell me up about that infuriating popup 'press yellow to get rid of it'  box that we all keep seeing.

- 7LM

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »

Hi,
And I think it's set to get even better...
Freeview currently uses DVB-T standard.
BBC & ITV etc plan to broadcast HD terrestially - but that needs the DVB-T2 standard.
Will the 48 inch £1000 Plasma screen you've promised yourself for Christmas receive DVB-T2?
Or will it too need a set top box?
And if the set is only 3mm think, how will you balance the box on top of the set?
Cheers,
Peter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 08:58:03 AM »

They have already upset me with that bl*dy popup thing saying pres the yellow button.

Ok a few times is fine but everytime you turn on the TV?

What happens after I retune?

The following changes to Freeview channels and services will be made on the 30 September:

Coverage of Five will increase. More than 500,000 Freeview homes will be able to receive Five for the first time; and these improvements will ensure that Five will be available to all Freeview homes at the point of switchover; along with BBC One, BBC Two, ITV1, and Channel 4.

Some viewers who receive their Freeview service from a relay transmitter will no longer be able be able to receive ITV3 and ITV4. As a result of moving position on the Freeview platform, a small percentage of homes will find they lose these services after retuning.

A new channel called ‘Quest’ will launch on channel 38 on Freeview. It will be available to the majority of Freeview homes.

Some BBC Radio stations will be affected in the 5% of UK homes that have already gone through digital switchover. Listeners in Border, West Country and parts of Wales will lose these services until they retune their Freeview equipment.

The Community Channel will no longer be available on Freeview in areas that have already gone through switchover.

After retuning, the viewer will find a small number of channels in a new position on their on-screen TV guide.

For the updated channel list, effective from 30 September 2009 visit our channel page. For Freeview coverage in your area use our coverage checker.

SOURCE

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:02:17 AM by BritBrat »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »

It does not seem to be working here.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »

Well I did all mine this afternoon, but nothing seemed to change except a few of the strangely-numbered duplicate/triplicate channels. All worked before and after.
Think I mainly get Crystal Palace and Hannington and pick up a couple of local repeaters too so about 120 channels on most boxes.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »

I did ours about 1pm.I did notice before the re tune that channel 5,ITV 3 and ITV 4 were blank screens.Afterwards they were fine.

But what a load of useless channels on there............Gay Rabbit   :-X to name but one.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »

I did ours about 1pm.I did notice before the re tune that channel 5,ITV 3 and ITV 4 were blank screens.Afterwards they were fine.

But what a load of useless channels on there............Gay Rabbit   :-X to name but one.

On one of our box's you can 'Delete' the channels you do not want.  ;)

Anybody still getting that B message still, I do on the box I have just done.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »

I have just done our Hummie and .... yes, even though the retune was successful, still get that b****y message and a new one too - yellow OR blue buttons to press!   ::)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 06:37:11 AM »

On one of our box's you can 'Delete' the channels you do not want.

Ours too,not many left when you have deleted the rubbish.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

anything