Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Scottish Power (naughty,naughty)  (Read 18492 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Scottish Power (naughty,naughty)
« on: September 21, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »

Hi,
We have just switched from Scottish Power to another supplier.We had both gas and electric from them which we paid by one direct debit,as soon as we started the switching phase they set up 2 new direct debits (without my permission) for gas and electricity,which had no fixed amount on them.
We moved across to our new supplier without any problems and Scottish power never stopped the August DD for our gas and electricity,which was fine as I had only just submitted the readings and we were approx £81 in credit.
We then received a final bill from Scottish Power saying we were in credit by approx £24 with our electricity and cheque to follow.I knew the gas would be in credit as we have hardly used any.
Anyway this morning,I  looked at bank account and to my astonishment were the words under debits Scottish Power gas first payment £25.00  >:(
Then lo and behold another letter arrived this morning from them,which was our fnal gas bill,which stated we were in credit for approx£49 and cheque to follow.
Sue then phoned them and they said sorry but the £25 was stopped in error and must have been done before the final gas bill was sent out.
Bill generated 18/09/2009,Direct Debit debited 21/09/2009.
So now we have to wait for a cheque for £25 as well to come via the post (7 to 10 days)
What a bloody cheek.  >:( >:( >:(

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Scottish Power (naughty,naughty)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:42:02 PM »

I'm sure I've had a similar experience to this, maybe with my water company - not sure.

I don't see why if they take payment by direct debit, they can't just refund it to the account from which it's been taken. I think that's what I made the water company do when the account was in credit at the end of the year - your mileage may vary !!!

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »

I left Scottish Power a little while back, because of a different issue with DDs. I hadn't been keeping my eye on the ball, and they had allowed me to build up a credit balance of about £250. I only checked when I received the annual payment review, in which they said that my payments would remain the same for the next year. Some review! >:(
  Eric

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:04:23 PM »

If you can't get it satisfactorily sorted, let me know and I can (privately) put you in touch with the CEO - an old friend of mine.  He joined them earlier this year and is determined to improve their service.

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »

If you can't get it satisfactorily sorted, let me know and I can (privately) put you in touch with the CEO - an old friend of mine.  He joined them earlier this year and is determined to improve their service.

Colin

Thats nice to know Colin,thanks. :)

Hopefully it will sort itself out,but as Eric has pointed out you have to keep your eye on the ball.Thank god for online accounts.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:14:36 PM »

This is another good reason for me to never use DD's   >:D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »

This is another good reason for me to never use DD's   >:D

In the UK, it is always better to opt for standing orders as opposed to direct debits.   A DD is something a company sets up to take from your account (obviously with your consent) they are exactly the same as making payment with your Debit card. The company has the authority to demand varying  amounts  of money   (if necessary) be paid from your account on that DD.  A DD can only be cancelled by the company taking the money, and obviously they don't usually rush to 'cancel' .         SO's by contrast are under YOUR control, you pay the same amount each month and the authority to STOP the SO is yours.       

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:41:05 PM »

Sorry, but you've got that wrong Kate :)

A DD is entirely under the customer's control, and you can cancel it at any time. If you write to the company at the same time to say that the DD is cancelled they can't legally recreate it (actually, even this isn't strictly necessary, but it puts you in a much stronger position if there is any dispute).

The (similar) thing which you can't cancel is a credit card continuous authority. These are indeed the work of the devil, and are to be avoided at all costs.

Here's the official word on cancelling DDs: http://www.bacs.co.uk/Bacs/Consumers/DirectDebit/HelpCentre/Pages/CancellingPayments.aspx

and here is the guarantee: http://www.bacs.co.uk/Bacs/Consumers/DirectDebit/Pages/DirectDebitGuarantee.aspx
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 10:45:38 PM by roseway »
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:56:15 PM »

I avoid both SOs and DDs wherever possible, though I must admit I'm more fearful of DDs.  My problem with them is that the recipient seems to be able to adjust the amount of the payment without providing any evidence of the account holder's consent, which I don't think can happen with an SO.

Anyway, a few years ago British Gas tried to persuade me to sign up to a DD.  I said I'd agree, provided they did likewise, giving me unlimited access to British Gas's bank account, just as they'd have unlimited access to mine.  Thanks to the DD guarantee, I explained, they'd have no worries about any fraudulence on my part, just as I'd not have to worry about any mistakes they might make.   Amazingly, they declined. :)

7LM

edit, PS - I couldn't agree more about CC continuous authorities being the work of the Devil, and all to easy to fall victim to, particularly when applied to on-line purchases,  such is the impossibility of actually reading the entire T&C when you purchase on-line.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:16:46 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 06:59:08 AM »

A DD can only be cancelled by the company taking the money,

As Eric has stated Kate,that is not the case.

You (the customer) can cancel direct debits anytime.I just go on to my bank account and just click on view direct debits,there is an option then to cancel.
It just tells you that if you have a direct debit pending in the next 24 hours then wait till after that.

The thing that has annoyed me is I already had a DD set up with Scottish Power,so why do they need to set two more up,which was without my knowledge or permission.  >:(

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »

Oooooooooooops  sorry about that  ...thanks Eric   ....  I was looking back at the time when I worked in the banking sector  (granted many moons ago)  when it was the case that if the Company receiving the DD monies didn't cancel the authority, the customer couldn't actually stop the payment  ....   I always regarded this as totally wrong and obviously the rules have changed  ....   sorry     :-[     I hate giving misinformation  ....   (interfering foreigner   :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »

Don't worry about it - we'll put it down to too much interest in the products of the vineyard :lol:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 09:03:53 AM »

Don't worry about it - we'll put it down to too much interest in the products of the vineyard :lol:

Of course Eric ..........DD = Direct Drinking.......... :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 09:13:39 AM »

DD  Direct Drinking    :lol:

rubbishk    hic !   :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »

:-X