Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slow Broadband Woes  (Read 2657 times)

Herr Minger

• Just arrived
Slow Broadband Woes
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »

I am currently with Pipex on max dsl and I am 3.9KM from my local exchange. For around 7 months I had a stable 1.4mb service with an IP profile of 1500k. For the last 6 weeks I've had nought but trouble. The line dropped out,came back at 0.1 and 0.2mb for a few days before settling at just under 1mb due to a 1000k IP profile. I am still trying, after 4 bt engineer visits and around 40 calls to Pipex, to get a stable 1.4 (1500k profile) connection. To top it all,my router stuffed up so I had to get a new one.(Netgear DG834G v3). I've had it for 5 days and guess what? 1500K IP profile returns.Great you might think, but no because for the last two nights my IP profile has been reduced to 250k. I can't understand it as my stats are

448 up / 2176 down connection rate                Surely if my router can run at 1500K profile with these stats I should
                                                                          not be getting a 250k profile occasionally.                                                                                                                       
                                                                           Finally is there any hope                                                                               
15.5db up  / 60db down                                    of getting a decent speed broadband on my local loop in the                             
                                                                           foreseeable future,I DONT THINK SO.  Rant over. :)
snr  19 up  /  12 down
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:55:50 PM by Herr Minger »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Slow Broadband Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 11:02:14 PM »

hi and welcome

@ 60dB youre on quite a long line but a 1500 profile is about rightish.
For the profile to have been reduced you must have had one bad sync a few days ago.
How long has the router now been up at 2176 for?  It should increase back again after 3-4 days.

A tool that you may well be interested in is routerstats, since you can use it to monitor the SNR on the DG834s.  This should help you identify any problems that may occur on your line through a drop in sync
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

>> Finally is there any hope of getting a decent speed broadband on my local loop in the foreseeable future.

Until someone rolls out FTC (Fibre to the Cabs) (greenboxes) then not really :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:20:59 PM »

>> Finally is there any hope of getting a decent speed broadband on my local loop in the foreseeable future.

Until someone rolls out FTC (Fibre to the Cabs) (greenboxes) then not really :/

Of course Virgin Media's latest advertisements say that you will get top speeds whatever distance you are from the exchange. Seems a bit like false advertising since cable can only serve around 50% of the population (that was the last figure I saw).

Some people are also confused by the point that whilst BT's 21st Century Network upgrade will consolidate existing networks into an IP backhaul network and provide the capability and equipment to provide ADSL2+ services upto 24Mbps, the local access network will remain copper based for the time being. So for the time being ADSL subscribers, LLU or otherwise, will be in pretty much the same situation. From some of the graphs I have seen, it looks very much like the 8meg lines might get near the 24meg mark whilst the 1meg lines will remain pretty much the same.

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »

What would I expect from a 4 meg line after 21cn lol *crosses fingers and prays*
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »

What would I expect from a 4 meg line after 21cn lol *crosses fingers and prays*

Still need to finalise the explanation bit before it goes live - but the coding behind it works.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maximum_speed_calculator.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker