Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tor internet anonymising service  (Read 3317 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Tor internet anonymising service
« on: June 25, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »

Has anyone tried this service? (Info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network) ). I'm having a play with it at the moment, and this is posted from Firefox via Tor. So far I don't really have any idea what I'm doing, but it does seem to have had some effect because I had to login to the forum. But I've been to Shields Up, and it still identified my IP address, OS and browser, so I'm still a bit puzzled. Time for some serious reading of the docs. :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 07:31:49 PM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Tor internet anonymising service
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:41:14 PM »

I had a play with it at some point either last year or earlier this year.
Didnt get too far with it though - cause I was too lazy to RTFM I guess :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »

After 24 hours my main feeling is that Tor slows down web browsing too much. It's a bit like a p2p service of course, dependent on users keeping their Tor servers open. At the moment it looks rather underresourced but I won't give up just yet.
  Eric

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 07:02:45 PM »

I ran an exit server for 2 years.

Tor isn't at all secure as the exit server sees all the traffic (unencrypted) unless you're using it as a the first part of a multi-hop tunnel.

Yes your ISP can't see what you're doing (misconfigured DNS lookups could indicate that though); yes only the first server in the Tor chain knows who you are; the "middle server" knows nothing; but the exit server sees all traffic as it must for that's when it goes unencrypted. Unless of course the output is a tunnel to another server.

Do you trust the exit server, that's the question.

I wouldn't and I know how it works.

Freedom (a Canadian system) was superb and worked (based on nyms). It got closed down 4 months after 9/11. No connection or so we were told - despite the company reporting profit in 2001 for the first time.

I do not believe that any anonymising service these days works. For casual use perhaps. For long-term use no.