Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trying to fix an annoying (to me) problemette  (Read 6039 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Trying to fix an annoying (to me) problemette
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »

Hiya gang,

Some of you may recall a previous post by me regarding 'unsolicited UDP responses from OpenDNS servers'. Although I thought that I had resolved the problem, it has started happening again, so I may have come to the wrong conclusion last time. My earlier thoughts were that it was caused by an application called Bonjour which appears to be installed by stealth whenever you install any Apple software, such as iTunes, QuickTime, Safari and possibly a few others. Having been free of the problem since I last posted I did install a new version of iTunes recently, and this problem seems to have started again around the same time. It's taken me a few days to realize first of all that it was happening again and to carry out some research to see if anyone else was having the same problem. There is a lot of talk about Bonjour being the cause of the problem, so my first reaction was to remove that from my system. This did seem to put a temporary stop to the what I refer to as 'unsolicited' UDP responses. Earlier today I decided that I would go through and remove all Apple applications from my system, only to find that Bonjour was back again. I have removed that plus all other Apple applications via Control Panel / Add or Remove programs. I now intend to monitor this for a short period and see if that Bonjour thing comes back - it shouldn't I suppose as long as I don't install any Apple software.

However, the main point of all this is that I was wondering if anyone knows of an application which can be set up to monitor outgoing requests to, for instance, the DNS servers run by OpenDNS. Hopefully, if such a thing exists, I can finally put an end to this what I consider to be a rather annoying problem not of my own making.

Thanks for all input and ideas

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Trying to fix an annoying (to me) problemette
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »

I cannot offer any answer to your question, but can say that Bonjour Service is also installed by some Adobe products, especially the CS3 and CS4 suites.
Do you have them or any part of them installed. ?

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:03:16 PM »

Hiya TD,

I am not conversant with those Adobe packages that you mention, although there are quite a few Adobe applications on my system. Could you clarify what you mean by CS3 and CS4 suites.

Just had a quick look under Control Panel / Add or Remove programs and the following Adobe apps are listed :

Acrobat.com
Adobe AIR
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Reader 9.1.3
     Adobe Reader 9.1.3 CPSID_49522
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5
Adobe PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.0
Adobe PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.0.1

and that's it

Any ideas ?

TTFN

toulouse

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »

Hi, the CS3 and 4 suites are the Creative Suites comprising the full Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design etc etc from Adobe, which do not appear on your list of progs.

It was a long shot in the dark, these suites do install Bonjour .....it can be a pain to remove it from these progs. and I just wondered if you had them installed as that might have explained why the thing keeps popping up again.

Aha, just re-read your list and I see that you have Adobe Air.......that also installs Bonjour Service, and if we can get rid of that then your main question may not be required.

The removal process in XP is noted below........not sure of Vista but something similar probably.

Open a Windows Run prompt box (Start – Run) and type the following command: “C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe” -remove

Navigate to the following folder in Windows Explorer: C:\Program Files\Bonjour

Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file in that folder to mdnsNSP.old

Restart your computer

Delete the the Program Files\Bonjour folder

(on the first step above the -remove outside the quotes is part of the command and the quote marks are required.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »

I think I posted a link on here a while ago for an application that stops/removes bonjour.

I have the app somewhere on my pc..  but I'll go see if I can find the linky.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »

here you go.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=5301.msg121318#msg121318

lol @ kate and "bonjour" keep coming up in the search results  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »

Thanks to TD and Kitz for your responses. I now appear to have removed that little devil Bonjour from my computer. I've also emailed OpenDNS who I also contacted back in July when this problem originally appeared. They seemed to want to help, so let's see what happens this time.

From my last contact with them they told me that their servers ONLY respond to DNS requests, but there is a lot of stuff on the Interweb which suggests that may not in fact be the case. I've asked if they can tell me how to track down which application on my system has made DNS requests to their servers. I'll have to wait and see what they say.

I must admit that I concluded, rightly or wrongly, that it was that Bonjour application which seems to me to be a bit of a nasty one. I didn't ask for it to be installed, and I have now removed ALL Apple software from my computer, just in case.

TTFN

toulouse

P.S. I know - I ought to get out more  ;D
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »

A network packet analyser would probably be of some use to you - maybe something like Ethereal/Wireshark.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »

Thanks orainsear. I've downloaded the Wireshark application this morning - all I have to do now is figure out how to use it.

Basically, I think I need to set it up so that is starts up when I start my system and track any sent packets to the OpenDNS servers, does that make sense ? Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »

You can also use Agnitum Outpost firewall, which can be set up to warn whenever any application or process requests outgoing or incoming connections. It then gives you control to allow or block it depending on protocol, port number or internet host.
There's also a free version and can be downloaded from http://free.agnitum.com/ The paid for version (which I use and am very happy with) is at http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/index.php

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

Word of warning...
Wireshark logs can get very large..  its surprising how big they soon grow.
-----