Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ******* Aluminium  (Read 9239 times)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
Re: ******* Aluminium
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »

Perhaps the only excuse might be if this is a temporary fix until the fibre is laid ?

Well all I can say is that your faith in BT to relay the trench with fibre within the next 2 years (a conservative meaning of "temporary") in Leicester where Chrysalis lives is stronger than mine !

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/news/productbriefings/nga/nga04209.do

The worrying aspect of installing aluminium instead of copper is the price reason.....if they can't afford copper now then why install aluminium rather than fibre which they will be installing in the future ?.....the mind boggles at the decision-making process in BT.

The sooner the decision-making as regards the broadband fibre infrastructure is taking out of BT's hands the better.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »

I agree entirely !

As Aluminium is not fit for purpose due to telephone reliability problems, I wonder if a Trading Standards complaint would be upheld ?

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »

I'd like to believe that OFCOM could help, but I don't have much confidence that they would. >:(
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »

I see on that string someones added a comment "sure someone isn't winding you up"

I think thats whats occured as far as i know ali cable hasn't been made for many years. or the poster misinterprited an explanationof why existing ali was put in the 1st place over 30 years ago.

Also a gfeller is a system where a number of end users have their lines through a limited number of pairs  ie 20 customers via 5 lines. based on the principal most domestic voice telephony is only used occasionaly. they are quite rear now.

the problem area affected with the long lines is Eccles on sea

general disquiet

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »

I see on that string someones added a comment "sure someone isn't winding you up"

I think thats whats occured as far as i know ali cable hasn't been made for many years. or the poster misinterprited an explanationof why existing ali was put in the 1st place over 30 years ago.

Also a gfeller is a system where a number of end users have their lines through a limited number of pairs  ie 20 customers via 5 lines. based on the principal most domestic voice telephony is only used occasionaly. they are quite rear now.

the problem area affected with the long lines is Eccles on sea

From: General Disquiet:  Something odd going on here on the forum - I see to be in Ezzers draft reply????????

general disquiet

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »

Ah that's better - a blank reply frame.

I really hope that the story of Openreach installing new ali is a mistake - they really couldn't be that daft could they?   

@ Ezzer - thanks for the info of Gfellers, much appreciated.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »

Hi guys and girls.

Yes I am the author of the post on tbb about ali in Leics.

My area is a inner city area highly populated, however it is a trouble spot, historically there was a local exchange but this was removed in the 80s by BT after privitisation to reduce costs.  This area is now fed of the city centre exchange.  The problem with this is a canal and a 2nd river in between the city and us as well as indirect road routes.

Now it has been in the local press more than once that thousands of lines are unable to even get a line synch, this is in the estate just across the road from me, I myself can get a synch of around 6mbit but it is troublesome with various noise bursts, interference etc. as well as hideous voice quality.

My direct distance by air to exchange is 1.65km
My road distance as estimated by kitz online checker is 3.54km
My line length according to BTw database is 3.96km
My adsl1 attenuation is 49db.

Make of those stats what you will.

I have been told by various people within BT currently no ali in my area, but is a lot of thin 0.4 copper and even some 0.3 copper.
Recently I heard road digging in the distance for 2 weeks that got closer and closer, when I went to examine it was openreach doing the work.
Initially I was unable to get any kind of info but eventually a engineer watching the work told me they laying ali along with a new cabinet.
I tried to have a conversation with him but he was trying to get rid of me, he said to me this was nothing to do with getting the houses in the estate broadband the line would still be too poor, but was due to high fault records in my area and the pairs marked faulty broke openreach threshold and justified some emergency work.
Apparently was cheaper for BT to lay ali, lay brand new ducting, and a new cabinet than to replace the current copper with better copper or even fibre.

It is entirely possible I have this all wrong and he was feeding me rubbish, I am waiting for the cabinet to be put up and see if it looks like one of the FTTC style ones.

My side of Leics is a nightmare for broadband connectivity, it is cabled up but is analogue tv/phone service only no broadband, the exchanges are very far apart and we are smack bang in the middle of the 2 starting points of nationwide FTTC rollouts, the midlands has very few exchanges earmarked for FTTC at present, and to make it even worse we have no local BTw POP so this area is not what I would call a prime FTTC candidate.  I just cannot see why BT would rollout ali in brand new ducts when fibre is planned.  So the future looks grim here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:56:29 PM by Chrysalis »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »

Hi Chrysalis,

Thanks for telling us about yet another urban "Grot-spot". I trust you'll keep a close eye on the possibility of aluminium being installed.
However we all very much hope that you have been misinformed.

My daughter used to live in the Evington Road area where she had Virgin cable available. Is it available in your area?
I know Virgin isn't always viewed with unbounded enthusiasm, but where they have FTTC and coax cable already installed, their broadband performance ought to be substantially better than those relying on the creaking PSTN.

Kind regards,
Walter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »

no virgin cable broadband no, it is tv and phone only (analogue service).
Pages: 1 [2]

anything