Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: problems after upgrade to adsl2  (Read 8003 times)

raoul10

• Just arrived
problems after upgrade to adsl2
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:10:10 PM »

BT are continuing to investigate why my IP profile has dropped to 55000kbps from thw 6500kbps I had before my so called upgrade to adsl2+ on Sept 10. I have just looked into my current BT Hub stats and got the following data.

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 20:08:29

Modulation: G.992.3 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 6,654

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 35.35 / 333.74

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.5 / 34.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 7.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 84 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,420 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 22,162,349

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 81,643

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 62,054

Line Profile: Fast

Is the fact that the ..OUTPUT POWER DOWNSTREAM is 0 a contributory factor in my poor performance
Most people I have spoken to have a positive figure here. I may be clutching at straws here but I dont seem to be getting anywhere as to what has caused my speeds to drop like a stone following such a significant upgrade.
Looking at the calculation on here  with my line attenuation etc. I should be getting figures nearer to 12000 kbps with an IP Profile of 10000 kbps. Do you think my problem lies with the Hub? or elsewhere? Any help would be gratefully received

raoul10

• Just arrived
Re: problems after upgrade to adsl2
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »

Sorry, that first line should read "dropped to 5500 kbps"

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »

Modulation: G.992.3 annex A
That's NOT ADSL2+  :-X

raoul10

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »

I appreciate that HPSauce, my Modulation has changed twice between 992.3 and 992.5. It is currently G992.3 Annex A which as I understand it is ADSL2. Has anyone got a view on the zero downstream power output?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 11:14:13 PM »

Hi
It must be a reporting error as with 0db power you would get nothing .

Regards Jeff
zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:11:37 AM »

I thought it was generally a known problem that BT were having diffficulties rolling out ADSL2+.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:26:23 AM »

As Jeff said, the zero output power is a reporting error, which seems to affect some combinations of MSAN and router.

Lots of people seem to be experiencing poor performance after switching to BT ADSL2+, and some have chosen to revert to plain ADSL until the problems are sorted out. In your case the loss of performance doesn't seem to be enormous (although irritating of course) so I think the best option for you is to report it to your ISP and then stick it out until it's fixed.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 07:33:03 AM »

I noticed that my router has shown 0 output power for downstream ever since I had it (it's a DSL-2740B on TT LLU), however I do notice that a value is shown using DMT immediately after a re-sync so in my case at least it is possible to get a value albeit briefly.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »

I thought it was generally a known problem that BT were having diffficulties rolling out ADSL2+.

A lot of companies are due to the compatibilty faults with the modem. For the most part the only issues are INP (Impulse Noise Protection), and Interleaving. These have 3 settings:

1) Low - Not bad, works well and helps.
2) Medium - Ok this just cut my speed by half
3) High - Right the system thinks i have a bad line and now has slowed me right down... thats it ... where did i put my hammer ... (heads off to the exchange)

BT are looking into this as far as I am aware and the issues should be resolved soon. As for the mdulation changes, that could be a firmware fault with the modem connecting to the new MSAN. What version are you using?

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

raoul10

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »

Many thanks for all the comments..Assaka, my router is a BT Hub model 1.5.
If I am correct my current modulation. G992.3 annex A, indicates that I am on adsl2, for 2 short spells I was on Modulation G992.5 Annex A, is this adsl2+?.
When this changes I notice that my upstream speed changes from 888kbps to currently 1151kbps. My downstream remains annoyingly constant whatever modulation, @ 6654kbps.Is it worth trying  a different router?
As suggested I think all I can do is put my trust in BT ( am I a fool?) who say they ARE investigating and will ring me on Wednesday 14/10

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »

Many thanks for all the comments..Assaka, my router is a BT Hub model 1.5.
If I am correct my current modulation. G992.3 annex A, indicates that I am on adsl2, for 2 short spells I was on Modulation G992.5 Annex A, is this adsl2+?.
When this changes I notice that my upstream speed changes from 888kbps to currently 1151kbps. My downstream remains annoyingly constant whatever modulation, @ 6654kbps.Is it worth trying  a different router?
As suggested I think all I can do is put my trust in BT ( am I a fool?) who say they ARE investigating and will ring me on Wednesday 14/10

Take a look to see if there is an update for the homehub and No you are not a fool for trusting BT. They can be very helpful when given the right information and motivation. It could be that have seen an issue on the MSAN and are trying to replicate it. I know we have seen dive in the speeds when the profile changes from MAX to 2+. Hang in there and keep us posted.

raoul10

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »

When I got home today my hub info and a bT speedtest gave some strange details.
First the good news, I appear to now have synched @ 8404kbps down and 1156kbps up. However the not so good news, my IP Profile on the speed test is 350??
Despite this I actually achieved 4736kbps on the test. Is this strange or am I missing something. I assume that my new profile based on the 8404 kbps will not kick in for 3 days but what is the 350 about?
However I will await BTs promised phone call tomorrow and let you know what happens.
Oh one last Q, how do I check if there is an upgrade available and/or needed for my hub?
Thanks once more to all that have given my problem their time
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:13:46 PM by raoul10 »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 09:34:47 AM »

The 350KB/s is a bit wierd. As suggested before could be an MSAN issue. The way the profiles works is a lot different to normal. I'll be senidng Kitz some info on it all so she can add the pages to her site.

As for the speeds, keep an eye on them, it is great that it has gone up but as we all know it can dive as well. Firmware: take a look on the BT webiste or even google for it. I know we keep updating the firmware on our modems to fix issues here and there.

One other important factor is that the Thomson modems at this point do not play well with Extended Ethernet Frames and when IMP is enabled, this can cause the speed to drop by 4-6mb.

raoul10

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »

Things have moved on a pace today. My Synch. of 8404 kbps has been maintained but now with a subsequent increase in my IP Profile to 7150
Speed tests are giving me circa 6500 kbps down 950 kbps up, at last an increase on what I was achieving before my line upgrade!!
Received my promised phone call from BT Technical ( a level 2 service which is a separate number and requires a 4 digit changing  pin number to access) who told me that they are working on improving the 20 Mb service and admitted they had "had some problems with the roll out."
Bt have agreed that my line should be able to support a speed of 10000kbps and will continue to monitor my line. They could not throw any light on the zero power issue. They have said they will ring again in one week.
As a sweetner I have also been promised a reduction 0f £3 per month in my option 3 rate immediately (already got a £2 discount) and a complimrntary new 2.0 black Home Hub with phone, not a bad gesture me thinks.
Any views, good or bad, about the 2.0 Hub would be welcome.
Again my thanks to all that have helped
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:56:45 AM by raoul10 »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »

The 2.0 is worth the money. You can use 2 seperate numbers and use the Thomson phones as addon's. I'll keep you posted with regards to the EEF's as Thomson are working on this and BT should also see a resolution.

anything