Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help me easily add a WAP to my setup  (Read 3685 times)

djnield

Help me easily add a WAP to my setup
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »

Hi, I'm looking for some easy steps to help me achieve a better connection and I think adding a WAP might help but I don't understand the process.

I'm on O2 premium and the wireless box 2 resyncs every day. I have a BT2700HGV which is much more stable and never resyncs but I can't get my full sync speed using it when compared with the O2 box. I'd like to try keeping the O2 as the modem and keep my imac wired to it by ethernet but attach the BT to work as my wireless (WAP) for the laptops etc.

Researching how to configure the 2 routers is confusing me - can anyone explain in easier terms which settings need changing to what please?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Help me easily add a WAP to my setup
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »

Turn wireless off on the o2 box and connect the 2700HGV to one of its LAN ports.

Turn DCHP off on either the 2700HGV or the o2 box - and manually assign an IP address to any PCs thats connected to the router on which youve turned off DHCP. 
- You dont want both routers assigning out IPs addresses.

Both routers shoould be using the same subnet range... so you need to check that the 2700HGV is in the same range as the O2 box eg 192.168.1.x
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

djnield

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »

Thanks kitz, I'm gonna try that over the weekend.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »

Good luck, although Ive not actually done this with a 2700HGV, Ive done so with several other routers and its been pretty easy to set up :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything