Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: getting disconnected a LOT!!!  (Read 6242 times)

lukas

• Just arrived
getting disconnected a LOT!!!
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »

Hi all!!!
This is my first post here. Glad I found this forum.
 I need help , I'm getting disconnected a LOT  (randomly, no pattern to it). O2 Access, O2Box II (firmware7.4.20.4). Also tried 3partly router Netgear DG834Gv5 no success, same problem only connection drops rarely but still drops. I tried DMT tool it doesn't work with both routers, I need to degrade my O2box 7.4.20.4 to   6.1.4.3 then DMT will work but I cannot find anywhere Firmware 6.1.4.3. I know  loss of sync is due to low SNR (noise margin), I've been monitoring this with RouterStats 5.6g, each time SNR drops to 4dB,3dB, or 0  get disconnected.  My line is fine (I ran BT Queit test line 17070) also had BT engineer over and sockets, wires are ok. I have no idea what to do about this problem, need help.
Thank you in advance.

my stats are :  (when it reconnects  SNR jumps to 6dB almost each time, the highest SNR I ever had was 12.5dB, 9.5dB for a few minutes only)

Uptime:   0 days, 0:00:03
DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 7,968
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   19.5 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   21.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   93 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   15 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   304 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0 

Another question:

If there is a problem with low SNR being on O2Broadband package I wonder whether I will have same problem (low SNR) with others ISPs for instance BT or Tiscali?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: getting disconnected a LOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:15:23 AM »

Hi and welcome

This is a normal BT-based ADSL Max connection, so changing to a different ISP wouldn't make any difference - the ADSL connection isn't managed by the ISP, but by BT Wholesale.

It looks as though the telephone line isn't the cause of the problem, so it's either something wrong with your internal extension wiring or filters, or it's REIN. I suggest that you look at the troubleshooting guide and the section on REIN.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »

>> I need to degrade my O2box 7.4.20.4 to   6.1.4.3 then DMT will work but I cannot find anywhere Firmware 6.1.4.3.

I'm afraid that firmware version wont work with the O2 box, which is a TG585v7, which has the relevant command disabled by Thomson for the SNR tweak, although you should still be able to see some info.

>> Also tried 3partly router Netgear DG834Gv5 no success

The DG834v5 uses a conexant chipset.  DMTtool mostly works with the broadcom chipsets, but there is DMT v2 which works with many conexant based routers.  Im not sure or not if it does work with the DG834v5. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

lukas

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »

Hi !
Thank you for your replies, I've been investigating and monitoring all day yesterday,  I managed to use all your suggestions and noticed that all the spikes(noise) my router picks up are REIN related (outside of my flat: lift, intercome,electric door).  I don't think that there is anything in my power to solve this problem, BT wont even look into it and on top of it no matter what ISP's package I get it wont solve the problem. I tried DMTv2 it doesn't work with Netgear DG834Gv5 I think if it  would work it wouldn't come handy anyway (the REIN noise spikes up to -9.5dB.)  
Here are some captures from yesterday:

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »

Those sharp spikes of noise certainly look like REIN, and you're right - it can be a real pain dealing with this sort of problem. But it may be possible to trace the source using the AM radio trick, and if you can pin it down to a single source then the owner of the offending equipment might be amenable to doing something about it.
  Eric

lukas

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 01:43:25 PM »

Unfortunately I had to cancell my O2 Access package I'm lucky I was still on "cooling off time".  REIN problems are from intercome, lift and electric door in my block there is nothing I can do about it.
I wonder is there any other way to get broadband that  REIN wont inerfere with?

below is my last capture of spikes of noise :no:

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »

Hi
If you cannot get the REIN stopped have you tried increasing your Target to see if you could maintain a reasonable connection.
Regards Jeff
zen user

lukas

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:52:47 PM »

Hi
If you cannot get the REIN stopped have you tried increasing your Target to see if you could maintain a reasonable connection.
Regards Jeff

Hi,
only problem is that  my routers(netgear DG834Gv5 and O2 TG585v7) are not compatible with DMT tool, need to get a new router, or perhaps there is a another way of increasing my Target(SNR). I'm open-minded to suggestions.

djnield

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »

As far as I know just call O2 customer services and ask for it to be raised. They lowered mine so I'm sure they can increase yours.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »

Hi
If you have no luck with o2 then you can try  routerstats .It allows SNR tweaking , the only drawback is that it will not survive a router reboot. Thats what I am using at the moment.I use it to tweak down ,I would think it would tweak up just as well .
Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:40:00 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think either of the routers mentioned are tweakable unfortunately.
  Eric

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »

In theory BT's systems should automatically raise your Target SNR due to the amount of disconnections you are getting.
Normally this happens pretty quickly!  Typical that when someone wants it to happen it doesn't!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »

>> Normally this happens pretty quickly!  Typical that when someone wants it to happen it doesn't!

Isnt it just  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker