Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: About time, too.  (Read 2590 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: About time, too.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:58:50 AM »

About time indeed. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
OFCOM lifts BT restrictions.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:08:46 AM »

Ofcom has lifted restrictions placed on BT when it was privatised in the mid-1980s which prevented it from bundling together services such as broadband and a landline in a discount package.

The change means that BT will be able to introduce new packages this autumn, joining a bundling trend that its rivals have been driving for years.

BT's competitors, such as Virgin Media and BSkyB, have been able to package together two or more services and sell the bundle for less than the services would cost individually. Previously, because of rules designed to stop the former telecoms monopoly busing a dominant position in the landline market, BT has been able to sell such packages only for a price equal to the sum of the parts.

This is quite big news for many people who will see costs fall.

But Ofcom now believes competition is healthy and BT no longer has "significant market power" in the majority of retail landline markets. The regulator says more than 12m UK households and small businesses use a telecoms provider other than BT, so it is safe to remove one of the last pieces of regulation in the fixed-line market.

TalkTalk is now a major player, with TT now having the most broadband lines since the tiscali takeover.

BT Retail's chief executive, Gavin Patterson, said: "It means that BT will be competing on a more level playing field than previously.

It's good news for consumers and businesses, as this will allow BT to offer more targeted discounts on products and services, and more attractive bundles at better prices – something we have been unable to offer widely to date."

Ofcom's decision also means the company will no longer have to inform competitors in advance on its prices.

For customers, it means that when any of their BT contracts come up for renewal they can choose from a wider range of packages.

This restriction seems to only apply to packages though.. and the retail side. 
Bundling packages often makes things difficult to compare.. and many would prefer to keep thing separate or not want all the services.

Not sure if this is going to help those IPStream providers outside the market 1 areas... or if this could drive users to take up a package with BT retail only.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »

Hi

Packages may be cheaper but I am always wary of putting all my eggs in one basket. There can be some real problems if you single provider is NOT up to scratch ,it is then quite difficult to change.

Regards Jeff
zen user

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »

I must admit I prefer having different providers for each item (or separate contracts anyway).  It may be a little more expensive but it is a lot easier to dump a poor provider and move on than if you have everything bundled.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »

Agreed
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything