Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR for Dummies  (Read 2569 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
SNR for Dummies
« on: September 28, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »

Having just been maxed I encountered some early teething problems that now appear to have been fixed (so far, fingers firmly crossed).  It was suggested by those much wiser than I on the Plusnet forum that I ask PN to raise the Target SNR to 9.

Since then matters have improved, the connection seems steady @ 2850, although it is a little slower tonight, so no action has yet been taken, although the ever helpful jameseh reset my profile to 3000 which improved matters a lot (thanks jameseh)

Could somebody please explain, in words of one sylabul (I do wish K-Meleon had a spell checker), that even a thicko like me can understand, what this means in practice.

Logic (that unreliable ally) suggests that if the target snr is raised to 9 then I will lose the connection as my SNR tends to hover between a minus number and about 6.

I am no doubt completly wrong about this but it would be nice to have it confirmed, again  :-[.

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: SNR for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »

Yes, I'm afraid you are wrong. :)  The target noise margin is only used at the time the modem or router synchronises with the exchange. The higher the target noise margin is, the lower the connection speed will be. After that, the noise margin can drift up or down, depending on the level of noise (interference) on the line.

The default target noise margin is 6 dB, which is fine for normal reasonable lines. But if a line is subject to a lot of interference causing frequent loss of connection, a higher target noise margin can make the connection more stable at the expense of some speed. So if your noise margin used to vary between 6 dB (the default starting point) and just below zero, you should expect it now to vary between 9 dB (the new starting point) and perhaps 2 dB, with far fewer connection drops.
  Eric

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Re: SNR for Dummies
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »

Thank you for that, I understand it now.  Things seem to be running well so I will hold off changing the target for the time being.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.