Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin cops to bad routing  (Read 4210 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Virgin cops to bad routing
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »

Leeds users get nothing at all

By Bill Ray • Get more from this author

Posted in Networks, 11th September 2009 16:32 GMT

Free whitepaper – Get application aware with your Cisco network devices

Multiple problems are afflicting the Virgin network this week, with some customers in Leeds lacking connectivity completely, while the rest are just missing the popular parts of the net.

The Leeds problem is still under investigation, but it has left customers without broadband, TV, or even telephone services, which puts the routing issues suffered by the rest of the Virgin network into perspective.

The problems in Leeds started this morning, around 09:30, and we're still waiting to see more details, but the company has told us that the routing issue is "affecting some customers trying to visit a certain US web sites such as facebook.com." and that Virgin is "working as a high priority to identify the affected sites and...implementing workarounds to re-route traffic wherever possible." The company also told us they'd appreciate a traceroute from anyone having problems, assuming they don't live in Leeds.

So, if you're not in Leeds then you shouldn't expect to get some US web sites. And if you are in Leeds, then don't expect to see anything at all. Probably time to visit the pub instead. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/11/virgin_problems/

fudgem

• Reg Member
Re: Virgin cops to bad routing
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 07:21:28 AM »

I'm in Leeds and having no problems at all for the last few days ;D  But last week it was a different story, since being upgraded to 10mb broadband I've been lucky to get on the net at all, been using my mobile dongle more than Virgin >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »

I'm in Leeds and having no problems at all for the last few days ;D 
But last week it was a different story,...........

Hopefully the write-up above may help to explain why you were having problems.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »

Virgin Media are having a hard time at the moment. BBC Watchdog had a go at them on Wednesday for poor customer service. They even put a song about them on YouTube.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 02:49:48 PM »

With the exception of Virgin allegedly losing a death certificate, I thought the program was quite biased against Virgin by mainly picking on problems where people had stated because of a death they should be getting preferential or different treatment.

Unless a death certificate is issued, then they must have heard the death excuse many many times before from people who can't pay their bill at the moment and are trying to gain time to pay without losing their service.

Although yes I agree cutting someone off who reports their partner had died and wants the service placed in their name was a bit callus.
But I would be inclined to say that reporting this type of tragic event is not something someone immediately thinks of doing, or at least until the next bill arrives and is due for payment. Yes I agree it could have arrived within a couple of days of the event or even a month later.

Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world and even some of the best organisations get it wrong.
Some of you may know my feelings with regards to the media/press.
"Bad news travels fast" and good news hardly ever gets a mention, and bad news sells.