Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DG834GT - How hot does your get?  (Read 12487 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: DG834GT - How hot does your get?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »

Hi
quote : If memory serves me right, heat is drawn into cold objects, so a flat plate of metal will help to draw the heat away evenly and avoid hot spots
True  ,Would probably be even better if supported on 4 small posts to allow air circulation underneath .
Regards Jeff
zen user

Hamster

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »

Sorry it wasn't very clear about the wood. This is it :-

I tried it on an old HDD and all that happens was the HDD got hot as well.

Ref the post above, the DGN2000 already has two little heat-sinks on but is still gets rather warm.

If the internal fan idea works i'll post a pic of that as well.

Hammy

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »

I tried it on an old HDD and all that happens was the HDD got hot as well.

That would just go to show how effective the metal HDD was at drawing away the heat, rather than still waiting for it to rise and go away.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »

I have my DG834GT mounted vertically, sort of "hanging" on the wall (using the clip-on feet over some small hooks) about a foot above my master socket in the hallway (well ventilated).
It's just warm not really hot. You could leave your hand on it indefinitely.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 02:42:26 AM »

:lol: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=128605

OMG....   router modding   :lol: :lol:
* kitz laughs - good idea though if you have the time and patience I suppose.

beware that you will lose your warranty for yur router if you do this:

erm...  yes I think you would  :D
...  nor would you be able to stand it on itside any more either  :lol:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »

@ Kitz,

Very good advice !

"Das maschinen ist nicht for gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Sitz back
und vatch das spitzensparken."

or more fully at :-

http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/blinkenlights

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:44 AM »

I love the mangled German :lol:
  Eric

philip_l

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »

Hi

Ref the post above, the DGN2000 already has two little heat-sinks on but is still gets rather warm.

Yes those little fin heatsinks don't really do very much as the heat produced by the Broadcom chip is more than can be dissipated by the heatsink.  Once the heatsink is hot it needs to pass heat into the air and out the box, but without forced convection or much better ventilation the heat just remains in the box and heats up just as much.  I'm surprised they bothered really :)

Whether its true or not I dont know, but I heard on the grapevine that the TG585v7 has an inferior board over the ST585v6, due to cost constraints of a major ISP who they supply to.

I can believe it, most new models that arrive now are just cost cutting measures by the manufacturer, for example the DGN2000 model is basically a DG834N but uses the cheaper 6348 chip rather than the faster 6358 that was in the DG834N.  Netgear can even produce the same model but with a completely different chipset just because they can get it OEM'd cheaper.  So the model number appears the same but you can be buying something completely different.  They do add a Version number to the model number to help tell them apart, but most people would assume the newer model is a better revision of the previous one, and not something altogether different internally.

D-Link have just done the same thing, the 2740R version that will replace the 2740B is a completely different piece of equipment using a Trendchip chipset and not Broadcom.

Regards

Phil

digitalface

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:06 PM »

Hi,

I've always felt my DG834GT runs too hot, and after acquiring another unit I have found the difference in temperature between the two has been very distinct. I've located the source of the excessive heat to be coming from the BCM5325 network chip near the network ports. On my old router, the chip gets too hot to touch, where the new one is much cooler.

I set about replacing the capacitors on the old router with better quality versions, and after fitting I tested continuity across capacitors to check for short circuits. All were fine, apart from 'C107' at the bottom of the board. This cap showed a short circuit / resistance reading of about 20ohms, but the cap was brand new so I'm thinking the problem lies with the mainboard or some other component.

Testing the other DG834GT, this cap showed no such short (as you'd expect) and the BCM chip runs cool. Hmmm I thought, perhaps the old routers' original cap had gone faulty, causing a short circuit and damaging the BCM chip enough for it to run excessively hot, but not enough to stop it working completely. While testing, I accidentally bridged the cap connections rendering my router useless while the BCM chip temperature soared, AND now we're left with a short circuit across the cap!

It looks like any issues with that capacitor that could result in a short circuit across its connections causes permanent internal damage to the BCM5325, resulting in extremely high running temperatures and sometimes, but not always, router death.

It would be interesting to see measurements across the capacitor of those who consider their routers to run hot, perhaps it's possible to prevent overheating of the BCM5325 by replacing the capacitor BEFORE it goes faulty. Anyone here handy with a multimeter and feeling extremely bored, feel free to give it a go :p

Thoughts / comments? :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything