Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spurious connection drops  (Read 4004 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Spurious connection drops
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:54:48 AM »

Hi,
My connection is pretty solid as is another one that I keep an eye on. However I notice that with both, there are occasional drops (LCP down in the log) which usually come up again within a minute. I did have one in the early hours today that took 45mins to come up again as well as a brief one on Thursday.
In both situations (mine and the other account), it happens about once every 2 weeks and in both cases, especially the latter, stats are good and they both sync at 8128.
Is it normal that there are spurious connection drops? I assume the long one last night was a BT maintenance thing.
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Spurious connection drops
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:16:32 AM »

hmmm   makes me wonder if BTw are doing a lot of maintenance and rerouting stuff again right now.

I know chris's has said that his connection has been off in the wee small hours,  one would have been interleaving taken off... but he mentioned yesterday that he noticed he's been reRASed.   
I'll let him explain cause I dont think hes too happy about the latency on the new RAS :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:03:14 PM »

That's reminded me, I've seen a lot of cable hauling going on in the area recently, looked like BT stuff and there were BT vans at some locations.
Terry.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 01:14:31 PM »

hmmm   makes me wonder if BTw are doing a lot of maintenance and rerouting stuff again right now.

I know chris's has said that his connection has been off in the wee small hours,  one would have been interleaving taken off... but he mentioned yesterday that he noticed he's been reRASed.  
I'll let him explain cause I dont think hes too happy about the latency on the new RAS :(
Hmm... yes! Not really happy.

I used to be on esr5.manchester5.broadband.bt.net - pinging 8ms to the RAS and approx 14ms to BBC. Nice and quick. Due to a couple of internal wiring issues, interleaving came back on. Damn. So I asked for interleaving to be turned off. They did that, fine... then the following night at 1am my connection died. I still had sync but no PPP so I couldn't connect, even to bt_test@startup_domain.

About half an hour later it came back on, but I had a new RAS - still in Manchester (esr15.manchester6 this time) but now pinging at around 30ms to the BBC - without being interleaved! No reason for it, but I suspect BT are doing a bit of maintenance at the moment and jiggling stuff around.

Pain in the ass :(
Chris

anything