News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: UPS  (Read 52782 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
UPS
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:03:13 PM »

Having experienced a couple of days with the power fluctuating and failing, TD has decided at long last that an UPS unit is required.

My psu is a 450 volt job, and I would need at least three sockets on a ups.....PC, monitor and router ( the printers and scanner can go hang)

Could a kind soul make a recommendation as to which to buy..........ease of use is the main criterion, plug in and play suits TD  ;D, and a budget of around £70/£80 would be my limit.. :(
Oh, and not too big as space is at a premium.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: UPS
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »

Something like this TD......?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/65711

which seems to be more for business use,

or  for home use

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Back-UPS-700VA-United-Kingdom/dp/B000GQMH9U

Some customer reviews on Amazon as well.

APC seem to be a good company for such a product.On their website you can configure a product to suit your needs.

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:40:00 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »

Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know TD, but do be aware that a UPS will only give you a very few minutes running after the mains fails. You need to install the software which comes with it, which will shut down the PC safely a short time after the mains interruption. So there may not be much point in powering the router from it, unless you get very short mains failures which are restored within a minute or so. By the same token, the only purpose in powering the monitor from it would be to give you a minute to save any data which you're working on; only useful if you're actually sitting at the PC at the time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:12:35 PM by roseway »
  Eric

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »

I have used APC for many years but, as Roseway quite correctly points out, they are really only to enable a graceful shutdown to protect your work-in-progress.

Also, the internal lead-acid battery will need replacing after about 5 years at a cost not too different to that of a new total unit.

We live in an area that suffers brown-outs and short loss of power and I have found mine invaluable when working on a desktop machine.  The laptop, of course, has its own UPS, called a battery!   :)

Colin

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »

Thank you all for your comments and advices.

@unkyUb....thanks for the linkys, will have a look at these. The ACP brand does seem to have a good reputation.

@ roseway...Thank you, and I do understand the points you make.
My problem here with regard to power outages is that whilst major, longer term cuts are as rare as anywhere else we do get plagued in certain weather conditions with cuts lasting perhaps two or three seconds........and a ups would be invaluable in that circumstance, as camallison has noted.

@ camallison...thank you for the input...had not realised about the depreciation and demise of the battery ( mind you, at my age I do not anticipate being in a position to buy again in five years time.. ;D)
I must confess that my concern about uncontrolled shutdown is not so much saving work-in-progress as avoiding physical damage to the hard drives.

Can you advise further, please.
Any ups I have is going to have to be placed on, under or about my desk on which lives my wee router (wired to PC).........under normal conditions and with the mains power on and feeding all the components, does the presence of a lead-acid battery in close proximity to a router cause that router any problem ?  
Also, would that same battery cause interfereance on my TFT monitor ?

Thank you all again.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:18:42 PM by tuftedduck »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »

No problems at all - the battery is a sealed type and won't cause any interference - in fact, it smooths out the bumps in the supply.  Mine is on the floor under the desk where Maisie keeps it company.  A good purchase considering your (agricultural) supply - that's how the supply company describes ours, so that they don't need to guarantee any uptime.

[Reminds me of when I was working in the Irvine area installing the high voltage switching gear to the (then) new Glaxo Smith Kline plant.  The electricity supplier (SSEB) was foolish to guarantee them no more than 1 total outage in 5 years since duplicate supplies had been laid over from the Lesmahagow area.  Guess what - the first winter we had 15 outages and so we asked SSEB if that meant we wouldn't have any more for the next umpteen years!]   :lol:

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »

The battery itself won't cause any issues to the router or monitor.

If there were to be any issues it would most likely be from the inverter (converts battery DC power to AC power), or the rectifier (converts AC power to DC power to charge the battery), however I doubt you would have any problems in normal operation - only if a fault arises with it.

That APC unit does look like a decent bit of kit.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »

First of all I have not looked at any of the links above, but here goes.

Two of the UPS units I use are from Belkin, although pretty expensive when they were new (I purchased them second-hand)
One of which is a 325VA and another is 625VA.
Both of which would give about 15+ minutes to shut down the system in the event of a power-cut.

Another I purchased recently 800VA for £46 manufactured by "Trust", also give about 15 - 20 minutes to shut down the system in the event of a power-cut, but that time depends on the load being drawn from the unit.

Both the 625VA and 800VA units comfortably run my system even when "everything" is switched on.
(2 PC's, 3 Monitors, 2/3 Printers, plus a few other bits and bobs)
The 325VA unit is only powerful enough to run a reasonably basic setup.

1. Not all UPS systems come with automatic shut-down software. (The more you pay, the better the UPS)

2. The battery is the same type as used in most burglar alarm systems, for the 625VA unit cost a little over £10 a couple of months ago from my local CCTV and Alarm security people.

3. Some models have normal 13 amp type sockets whilst some have 10 amp (kettle type) sockets.
    One little trick is to connect a "Multi-gang" trailing socket to the unit, then just plug all your equipment into that.

4. As far as I know, all UPS systems also have built-in ant-surge protection.

5. Running costs range between 20 and 40 Watts for the above units.

EDIT
Changed Kva to read VA

Link to Trust.com
http://www.trust.com/search/default.aspx?search=UPS
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:49:45 PM by oldfogy »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:05:46 AM »

Thank you all for your further advices and comments....off to spend some money.. ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »

My psu is a 450 volt job, and I would need at least three sockets on a ups.....PC, monitor and router ( the printers and scanner can go hang)

450 volt  :'( what have you got in your computer Thermionic valves ? that need 450v HT and 6.3v for the heaters. :lol:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »

I took it that he really meant 450 Watt, but forgot to mention it earlier.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 07:02:08 AM »

:-[

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »

hi
quote Thermionic valves ? that need 450v HT and 6.3v for the heaters

now that's language I can understand  :lol:

Regards Jeff
zen user

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »

:)

When I was growing up my father was always building TV, Radio's, and amps and some of it rubbed off on to me. ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

Hi all,
what have you got in your computer Thermionic valves?

Absolutely - A-Open used to do a motherboard with a valve audio amplifier:

and here:

Cheers,
Peter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything