Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Netgear DGN2000 Query  (Read 25616 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Netgear DGN2000 Query
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 07:37:19 AM »

I'm not an expert, and others will no doubt comment, but that doesn't look particularly bad to me. For an attenuation of 45.5 dB you're doing exceptionally well to get such a high downstream connection speed. The tailing off and ragged look in the higher tones is to be expected with over 3 km of cable between you and the exchange. The gaps are probably caused by medium wave radio transmitters, and the frequencies do match up quite well with known transmitter frequencies. If you're interested, you can check out the frequencies here.
  Eric

Hamster

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »

Thanks for the reply, just being told it's not too bad helps. I understand most of the figures but where do you calculate I'm 3km from the exchange, i am as it happens but where does DMT confirm this.

Also, i read once that feeding the modem lead through a toroidal coil, which i have somewhere might help, but the number of turns is important.

Would a filtered faceplate help?

The extension wiring is CAT5 and the only thing plugged in is the DGN2000

Hammy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:45:44 AM by Hamster »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 10:12:17 AM »

I understand most of the figures but where do you calculate I'm 3km from the exchange, i am as it happens but where does DMT confirm this.

If you enter your attenuation into Kitz' calculator you'll see an estimate of the line length and the expected achievable speed. You're doing a lot better. :)

Would a filtered faceplate help?

The extension wiring is CAT5 and the only thing plugged in is the DGN2000

Normally I would say that a filtered faceplate is a good idea if you have extensions, but if you're using CAT5 and only the router is connected then it's unlikely to make any difference.
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »

>>>but where does DMT confirm this.

The bottom graph as shown by DMTtool shows the calculated attenuation per tone.  If you look towards the bottom right of this graph there is an estimate for the loop length.

>>>feeding the modem lead through a toroidal coil, which i have somewhere might help, but the number of turns is important.

Do you mean the modem power lead?

Hamster

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »

No, not the power lead, the telephone RJ11

Hammy

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »

I've never tried it but I doubt that winding the modem cable through a toroidal coil, even if it was tuned to the appropriate frequencies, would make much difference.  Common mode interference should be as far as possible rejected by the modem, and using as small a length as possible good quality twisted pair modem cable is recommended.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »

good quality twisted pair modem cable

This is a good one, if rather expensive: http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=120
  Eric

Hamster

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »

If i remember rightly mine is a Belkin one and it was thee times that amount!

Although if it's the same quality as the Belkin N1 I sent back a few weeks ago, maybe it is time for a new one.

N1, looks good but terrible modem.

Hammy

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »

good quality twisted pair modem cable

This is a good one, if rather expensive: http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=120

Exactly what I use myself  :)

Hamster

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 12:36:23 PM »

I ordered a different cable and one of those posh splitter/filters last night. If they don't have an improvemnt i'm sure i can return them  :)

Hammy

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 11:11:19 AM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Hamster

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »

Well the ADSL Nation Telephone lead and posh filter came today and I installed them this morning, no increase in connection speed but something more weird happened. Previously I had missing tones, lots as evidenced by the picture (Yes, i know it was too big!) earlier on. Now, only two tone errors, old lead or filter = multiple tone errors, new lead or filter, only two tone errors.

Maybe I'll try resetting the SNR down to 3db and see if it is stable. I did this previously and got disconnections at night. Maybe it will be better now.

So maybe it was worth £15  :D

Hammy

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2009, 08:41:49 AM »

Use mini-snapshot in DMT to get a smaller picture with only the relevant bits in.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]