Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Possible HR Dis problem? Help please!  (Read 15862 times)

flip74

Re: Possible HR Dis problem? Help please!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »

Hi Kitz,

Thanks for replying  :thumbs:

So at least I'm not going totally mad in thinking my line quality improves in response to better weather conditions!

I've changed filters back to the one that was connected up till Sunday; where the HR symptoms were really obvious, and have maintained a 5.8 Meg sync with this one too. IP Profile is ~ 5 Meg.

What I think would be a problem is explaining this point to B.T. as should an Engineer come out again and take things at face value, then I risk an all clear until the weather changes.

So, how do I approach this? What at minimum should be checked?

Still haven't heard back from the CEO's assistant at BT yet. Had the standard out of office reply, but don't know if she's actually received my email.

Edit: Have also gone back to the DG834G too. So far, so good - but then again so's the weather!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:49:35 AM by flip74 »

flip74

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 12:23:16 PM »

As I'd not heard anything from B.T. for a while, I decided to give my point of contact at B.T. a bit more of a nudge.

I stated that the charges were unfair as per what Trading Standards and the C.A.B. said, as well as mentioning that Trading Standards had told me to put in to writing my dissatisfaction with B.T. , as well as giving them 7 days to sort everything out.

Later that day, I received an email with an apology, and also the 'Call out Charge' had been removed from my bill  :thumbs:

The next day I received a letter in the post from B.T. (not from my PoC) saying that as agreed (?) the charge of £99 was being credited to my account. "Hang on" I thought! "what about V.A.T?" meaning they still could make £14.85 for nothing. I guess this letter is something to do with the phone call I mentioned in post 35?

Anyway, my bill was taken by DD, for the right amount.

Since last Sunday, my line has been behaving OK. But typically there's been no real rain or wind.

My Stats at present using the DG834G are as follows:

Connection Speed: 4888 kbps

Line Attenuation: 38 dB

Noise Margin:     12 dB

A B.T. Speedtest gave the following:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 4582 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :5888 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps

I've been monitoring the connection with Router Stats all week, and have noticed that Noise Margin dropped to 3 dB for a while befire going back to its usual 12 dB plus. Before the problems arose, the Noise Margin was at the 6 dB average.

In the email from my Point of Contact, she mentions:

Can you confirm if the engineer did attend recently and is the fault still outstanding. If this is the case I will need to contact Openreach again

No Engineer had visited, but how do I explain that even though things seem to have improved, the fault is likely to remain?

I mean, with a phone direct into the test socket, it's pretty clear. With a filter, router and a phone connected; there is a hissing present, akin to what was present before, but a bit quieter.

I don't want another Engineer coming out if they wont check B.T. property. I also don't want to say every-thing's great only for it to go again in the next bout of bad weather. This has happened before, where everything looks OK then along comes the rain.

Thanks,

Phill

p.s. Is there any reason why my Connection Rate of 5888 Kbps has dropped from 8128 kbps since the fault? Though, the Throughput is around what I've always had prior to the event!

I notice as well that I'm on Interleaving now too.

Have also noticed, that lifting the telephone handset causes the SNR Margin to decrease of around 3-4 dB, until it is replaced.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:37:28 PM by flip74 »

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »

A combination of Interleaving being applied and a higher snrm will lower your sync......
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

flip74

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2009, 07:12:45 PM »

Hi,

I think being put on interleaved was one of the 'fixes' B.T. and/or my ISP tried regarding the HR problem - for some reason.

I have no idea when it was done, as I didn't know about the telnet feature of the DG834G v3 prior to reading it on Kitz's site.

I'll see if the SNRM comes down over time too.

Shall just have to wait and see what happens when it rains.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »

Hi
quote :Have also noticed, that lifting the telephone handset causes the SNR Margin to decrease of around 3-4 dB, until it is replaced.

This is a probably a filter or internal wiring problem  . see link below

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

Regards Jeff
zen user

flip74

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »

Hi,

Already tried different filters/routers/cables. No difference. Current filter is a new ADSL Nation XF-1e, because I was sick of having to unscrew the XTE-2005 to try the test socket.

The fault (HR) is worse during really bad weather, which as of yet, hasn't happened for over a week.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything