Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Possible HR Dis problem? Help please!  (Read 15860 times)

flip74

Re: Possible HR Dis problem? Help please!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »

Hi general disquiet,

I've been running Router Stats with the DG834G, and have kept records of any anomalies occurring.

I currently have v5.6g running with the 585v6, on my eeePC 701 (which is connected to the 585 via wired LAN) due to its low power consumption.

What I should really be doing is keeping notes on the weather whilst running Router Stats?!

Phill

general disquiet

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 12:12:31 PM »

OK, you are right about matching the weather to the RS traces.  I find light persistent rain is worse than a brief torrential downpour and heavy mist can be nearly as bad.  If you find that there is a regular event at a specific time of day, you can get round that by fitting a timer to your router and switching it off during those periods - not a brilliant solution, but it can preserve your IP profile!

If you are being hit with purely random events, then that option isn't going to help.

flip74

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »

From what I've seen thanks to Router Stats, is that the problem doesn't occur at set times. I had wondered about timers (central heating), but there is no correlation.

The only thing that does seem common is the weather. The fault arose after a really bad weather. When I finally got sync later that day, it lasted for 2 days before loss. Again, after rain.

Prior to the fault becoming obvious in June, there had been no issues.

I just need to find a way of getting this point across to B.T. when I contact them next week, as they have failed to keep me informed.

Phill

general disquiet

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »

Hmm,  that's a shame!  There's a reference document I mentioned in another thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=5500.45 that might give you a few more alternatives to look at - but basically any piece of electrical equipment can cause it, and even a small device can mess up an entire neighbourhood.

Have you spoken to neighbours to see if they are having similar problems (but be aware that it may not affect those on fixed-rate connections).

flip74

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 11:27:30 AM »

Hi,

It might sound a bit stupid, but I'm not even sure if any of my neighbours are on Broadband! I had thought about asking them if they have had any problems, just in case.

What I thought too is, even if someone's got a HR fault, unless they've got ADSL then I presume they wouldn't be too aware of it?

I've left Router Stats running continuously with the 585, and last night I did a quiet line test. This time there was a slight crackle present, but it didn't sound like the usual hiss with the HR. Lifting the receiver had no obvious effect on the SNR margin in Router Stats.

This morning though, the crackle has turned in to a more prominent hiss (sort of sounds like the noise you get when putting a shell to your ear!) and the SNR margin shows a dip from 15 dB to 0 dB in Router Stats, which returns to 15 dB when the handset is replaced.

I've tried a different phone, just in case, and this gives the same results.

I expect to lose sync at some time, as it looks like the fault symptoms are returning.

I'll do a quiet line test with just a phone again later. Feel too tired to do it now  :sleep:

Phill

flip74

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »

Funny thing just now is I'd just had a phone call from B.T. regarding the charges. As I let 1571 answer the call, I don't know what it's about regarding the charges. Plus I couldn't make out the call properly due to the hiss.

Anyway, after playing the message back, I couldn't get on the Internet. I checked the Stats page for the 585 and it stated the connection was disconnected. Checking the modem showed a Red LED for the Internet position,meaning Internet connection had failed.

I lifted the phone handset again, which usually forces sync and nothing happened except for the red LED flashing. All the time, the hiss was present in the earpiece.

I switched off the Router and tried the telephone again. This time, the was a 'squeaking' noise (though that's probably the wrong word for it. It was more of a short, squeaky farting noise  :lol:) then the line was pretty clear, but still with a hiss.

At this point, I plugged a phone into the test socket and the low volume hiss is still there.

Swapped filters, powered up the 585 and got sync at 5792 kbps. Picking up the phone has no effect on the SNR again.

So, I swapped back to the previous filter and this is OK too. 5792 kbps sync, no effect on SNR but the hiss is still present.

I've enclosed a graph of what happened when the phone is lifted, and also what happened whilst the phone was ringing etc.

As I said before, I wouldn't say my line is clear. It doesn't matter what filter or even if connected to the test socket, there is still a hiss.

Phill

edit: The weather at the time the problem got worse, was not as good as it is now.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:30:33 PM by flip74 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »

Hi Phill,

Your reports illustrate clearly that you have a reasonable telephone line fault complaint which is in urgent need of attention.
Perhaps BT were attempting to contact you re the line fault? I wouldn't bother with any broadband complications before the line is repaired.

Kind regards,
Walter

flip74

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »

Hi Walter,

I've played the message back, and it's to do with something about charges. My bill is due any time now too.

I was going to wait and see my bill as to whether they were proceeding with charges or not, before contacting them. I had told B.T. that it would be better to contact me by email or the other line as mine is untrustworthy.

I'm sorry if my descriptions, are say, a bit crude. It's pretty difficult to explain the different noises produced!

I've noticed a few times now that when the handset is lifted, there has been a short period of crackling followed by what could be perceived by some as a clear line, but to me is a low level hiss. This has also been the case with the phone into the Test Socket.

I've got Router Stats running again with the 585, and it looks like we're in for another downpour soon.

Phill

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 02:17:21 PM »

Hi again Phill,

Definitely keep the recorded message if you can as an example and it would be worth trying different phones into the line without filter / modem.

Kind regards,
Walter

flip74

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »

Hi,

What I'd done previously is put the landline on speakerphone; whilst the router is off and use my mobile to record what happens as sync is being established.

At the moment, the line is still with the hiss (I've tried 3 different phones, one of which is new) and it's present with all.

I've checked my line stats and they are as of present:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 5,824
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   22.5 / 37.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   26.0 / 15.0

Running a BT Speedtest gives the following:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 4498 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5824 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps

Swapping between filters again has had no bad effects on my stats! Obviously, I don't want to keep swapping filters too much too soon.

This has also been around the third day of constant sync, which may have something to do with it.

I'd left Router Stats running whilst swpping filters (with the router powered off) and I get a 'before and after' result which tally. Basically there's no drastic change in stats.

Previously, my IP Profile has improved but has never lasted for long.

Edit: I notice that I've had interleaving enabled, as previously my sync rate was 8128 kbps. Now it's saying maximum is 7150 kbps.

Phill

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:55:04 PM by flip74 »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »

Can the crackling be heard by the recipient of your telephone calls?  If so, when the line is noisy, and with only your telephone plugged in to the test socket, you could try calling 151 so that they are able to hear it for themselves - this would hopefully add a bit of weight to your argument that a fault exists.

flip74

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

Hi,

Dialling 151 is something that I'll have to do when the crackle returns (probably in the next batch of bad weather). Though knowing my luck, they'll probably say it sounds OK to them.

I'm just keeping an eye on my throughput at the moment. Just wonder how long it'll last this time?

It's really narking me that things are changing like they are. It's not as if it's as clear cut as,say, having no sync, swap filter and syncs back.

It's lulls you in to thinking everything's back to normal, then Wham! gone again.

I've bought enough filters, cables and even 3 new Routers to rule out my equipment; as nothing has improved.

Phill

flip74

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 11:39:43 PM »

Things have still been pretty good again today.

Done another B.T. Speedtest with the following results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4441 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5824 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps

I've also enclosed a couple of graphs from DMT Tools, to show the results before(Top) and after improvement (Bottom).

Could I just ask for confirmation that with a HR Fault, that the symptoms of the fault can be intermittent? Basically, whilst the weather is OK, with no rain or wind then it gives the impression things are OK?

The weathers been OK so far here, which I gather has something to do with the improvement.

There is still a hiss present, but not as bad as when the HR is more evident.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:44:29 PM by flip74 »

flip74

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 11:59:29 PM »

Oh well, just received my phone bill and guess what?

A one off charge of £99 plus VAT has been applied. Guess this is the infamous call out charge for an Engineer who does sod all.

Now to contact B.T. (again) as well as putting Trading Standards' advice of putting in writing that they have 7 days to fix the fault.

Trading Standards and the C.A.B. both say B.T. or Fast cannot charge as the fault is still present.

This is really driving me nuts now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 02:17:27 AM »

>> that with a HR Fault, that the symptoms of the fault can be intermittent? Basically, whilst the weather is OK, with no rain or wind then it gives the impression things are OK?

Yes thats possible..   things get worse when theres say water on the line.

>> A one off charge of £99 plus VAT has been applied.

:'(
Back to BT indeed.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything