Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Online banking via work laptop  (Read 3002 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Online banking via work laptop
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:32:25 AM »

Up to now, I have not used my work laptop for accessing online banking or to make any card transactions over the net. I have always used my own computer for these types of activity on the basis that someone in IT, or elsewhere on the company network, could access my personal details. Am I being over-cautious?

Also I will be getting a G3 card fitted. Is this inherently less secure than normal intenet connection, or connection through VPN?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Online banking via work laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »

Well, you should certainly clear your cookies and your browser cache after online banking with anything other than your own home PC. Apart from that I don't think it should be a security problem.

I know nothing about G3 I'm afraid.

Eric
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Online banking via work laptop
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »

G3 or 3G? Either way I don't know much about it and how secure it is.

Personally I'd probably not do online banking over a mobile phone network, purely because I don't understand the security implications and 'hackability' of such a network.

As for using your credit card and online banking on your work's network, some would say it's overcautious and some would say not. At the end of the day you should do what you feel is comfortable. If the IT bods really really wanted to, they could probably do it, but (a) they'd have to be monitoring at exactly the time you do the transaction and (b) they'd have to want to do so.

Doesn't help much, does it? :P
Chris

anything