Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Opera browser  (Read 10783 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Opera browser
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »

>> running into a couple of hiccups.. like bank login problems etc.

My bank's online banking facility is fussy about what browser you use, but I worked out how to configure Opera to pretend to be something else (IE or FF) and this works fine with my bank.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »

I've played about a bit with Turbo........and have now turned it off and will forget about it...........it was causing more problems than it's worth and in fact rendered one of my favourite imaging/photoshop sites inoperable.

Bye-bye Turbo.

I have never had a problem logging onto any secure sites with Opera....with one exception. Hotmail......Microsoft have now made it such that it can only be fully accessed by IE, FF and Safari..........and even changing the "browser identification" options did not help.. :(
Solution to this problem ?.......abandon Hotmail and switch all to Yahoo Mail........works a treat.

For the curious, to disguise Opera as either FF or IE......right click on a blank area of the offending page>choose "edit site preferences>network>browser identification"
then take your pick... :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »

I've got Turbo set to 'Automatic', which is supposed to come into operation only when a slow network is detected, so I'll keep a look out for any bad graphical effects.
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »

Thanks for the advice TD - I've now got it blocking content and it is a big improvement - especially when reading newspapers and trying to get rid of those annoying ads that keep getting in the way!

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »

Well done, jazz.............big improvement with all the ads cleared out the way... ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 06:05:24 PM »

Thanks for that kate - ill give it a try
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »

I've played about a bit with Turbo........and have now turned it off and will forget about it...........it was causing more problems than it's worth and in fact rendered one of my favourite imaging/photoshop sites inoperable.

Bye-bye Turbo.

Yes me too. 

The quality of pages with it on wasnt good - even on their own site :/

eg

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »

That turbo graphic doesn't look good at all  ???  I suppose it may help things on very very slow connections though, or be useful if you are only really interested in the text.

It's a very slick browser, but there's one feature that they've never included that I would find useful.  With FireFox, text entered in a text entry field is saved in a temporary location, and if you go to another text entry field and start typing, your previously entered text comes up as a suggestion list - basically an autofill/autocomplete type feature.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 01:11:10 AM »

One thing that I do like, which no other browser seems to do.....  is that when you paste a url in, it offers the option 'paste and go'.

So simple, but saves having to press another key or button. :)
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »

It's the lack of a bookmarks toolbar which is holding me back at present. I have large numbers of bookmarks organised into categories, and it's so quick and easy to find them from the toolbar. With Opera, Speed Dial gets me quickly to a small number of favourites, but finding anything else seems a bit cumbersome. I'm still pondering this one, because I do like Opera otherwise.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 07:43:10 AM »

Aha...bookmarks  :idea:

Never noticed before........help>Opera help>bookmarks

Quote...."Make bookmark available at all times..........Drag bookmark or page icon to any toolbar".   

Might be worth a try. :)

Yes...that's it.

Step 1) view>toolbars>personal bar
Step 2) view>toolbars>panel
Step 3) open bookmarks in panel
Step 4) drag and drop bookmark from panel to personal bar
Step 5) dispense with panel

You now have a personal bar along the top of page with a nice row of instantly available bookmarks... :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:55:51 AM by tuftedduck »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 08:00:23 AM »

Aha! That did it. I added a personal toolbar, opened 'Manage bookmarks', and dragged each bookmark folder to the personal toolbar. It works just like the bookmarks toolbar in FF.

Thanks TD. I think I'm in love (with Opera that is, not you TD :lol: )

[Edit] I posted this while you were adding to your message. I did it slightly differently to you, but obviously either way will work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:03:59 AM by roseway »
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 08:18:23 AM »

:thumbs: :clap2:

>>> I think I'm in love (with Opera that is, not you TD<<<  :scare:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:22:12 AM by tuftedduck »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »

I have gone back to Firefox.

A few sites don't display correctly and if I am honest, there isn't a huge speed difference between FF and Opera.

It also seems to use more CPU usage when loading pages, Firefox doesn't. (Single Core 3.06GHz processor, 2MB Cache, not too quick!!)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »

>> I have gone back to Firefox.

It does seem a shame..  in a way I was in exactly the same situation..  although I stuck with Opera for about a year, because I really did like it and some of the things and shortcuts that it had that no other browser had at that time.

When designing this site, I normally check in various IE versions, FF and Opera.  I find that Opera generally tends to be the most compliant to displaying w3 code as it should be and that its IE (mostly) or FF that sometimes has problems.
It is in my experience the non w3 sites and secure logins such as banking etc that you tend to have the most problems with Opera.  :(
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3