Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Camera Tripod Recommendation  (Read 17486 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Camera Tripod Recommendation
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »

That Hama one OF has the same head as mine... ;)

I suppose if I had a Manfrotto carbon fibre one at the side of mine I would see big differences(as well as the price)

But as I have said for the money(the rrp on the Hama site is £46.97) I think I have got a bargain@ £8.97

http://www.hama.co.uk/portal/articleId*100477/action*2563

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »

You have sone well enough, unkyUb.

Honestly, I think that with your mobility problems, a monopod would not be the best idea.
They are great for holding up heavy, long lenses but the user still has to hold up the monopod, possibly inducing wobble and certainly taking up a valuable hand ..........clap your camera on the tripod and leave both hands free for the fiddling and setting up....and that Hama is not too heavy to carry around ( especially if you fashion a strap for it and sling it over a shoulder.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »

especially if you fashion a strap for it and sling it over a shoulder.

Forgot to say,it comes with its own bag with adjustable shoulder strap :)

Re mono pods: As you say TD with my mobility one would be no good.With this I can set it up and as you say be hands free.I will then follow your advice using the self timer.   :)

Apart from the aluminum legs,most of the other parts are plastic,but it still seems sturdy enough.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 07:18:36 AM »

>>>Apart from the aluminum legs,most of the other parts are plastic,but it still seems sturdy enough<<<

Yes, but very strong plastic..............years ago I had a tripod very similar to the Hama with the same materials in the construction.........it lasted me about fifteen years before the plastic locks began to loosen a bit and yours will do the same....lots of life in these components.. :)........the main killer for these plastic bits is long exposure to very low temperatures, meaning arctic temperatures, and I don't suppose that such will feature in your plans... ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »

TD's Handy Hint of the Day for newbie tripod users... ;D

You are out landscape snapping, the wee plate (the QRP or quick release plate) of the tripod is screwed firmly to the bottom of the camera and secured in it's bed on the tripod by the locking lever. Great.

You are snapping in landscape orientation using the wee spirit level to keep that horizon square.

You decide that you want to take an image in portrait orientation.

Now, to do that you must rotate the camera ninety degrees and of course you do that by using the tilt lever on the tripod....................

I see so many people tilting the camera anti-clockwise to do that, so that the camera is now hanging to the left hand  side of the tripod, which keeps the shutter release button and the exposure controls nice and handy and the top edge of the camera..............................but, that also means that the weight of the camera/lens combo is acting on the screw holding the camera to the tripod in a manner which would/may allow the weight of the camera to unscrew itself and droop, possibly even fall off.

So, for portrait orientation, tilt the camera clockwise..........the controls/shutter button are now in a slightly awkard position at the bottom of the camera......but the weight is now acting against the thread on the screw and if the camera rotates at all it will serve to tighten and not loosen the screw.

A little awkward but much more secure. :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »

So, for portrait orientation, tilt the camera clockwise..........the controls/shutter button are now in a slightly awkard position at the bottom of the camera

Obviously that depend on the which camera a person is using to start with.
As the main controls on my camera are on the top of the camera (when in Landscape mode) so rotating to Portrait mode puts the main controls on the left or right hand side (not the bottom)
Don't forget the camera has only been rotated 90 degrees "not 180 degrees"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »

Here's a couple of pics showing the new tripod in action.I can't believe it only cost me £7.97,what a bargain.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »

:thumbs:

I see that Blue gives it his seal of approval, too... :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything