Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Camera Tripod Recommendation  (Read 17692 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Camera Tripod Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

Have got the go ahead to get the tripod,it was looking in doubt  a few minutes ago when I looked like buying a new mobile phone...see 'panic,panic thread................. ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »

See,    another thing to thank a woman for  .... not losing her 'phone so that you can have a new tripod   :lol: :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »

:-X

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »

the trickwith the dark cardin front of the lens is whats known to amateur astronomers as the hat trick

For hanging weights off the tripod'  this is one of the uses forthe 1/4 inch whitworth screw thread (same as the screw thread to secure the camera) at the base of the centre rod

A good way of stabalizing a tripod once set up is whilst applying a slight downward pressure at the top of the tripod and at the same time with a foot push 2 of the legs out a bit so there applying a slight inward pinching pressure on the ground. A tripod has 3 main possibilities in remaining stable.

Mechanical: the physical strength of the construction though out.

Mass: this is where adding weight at the right point increases stability. this relies on newtons laws of physics mainly the one where every action has an equal and opposite reaction. in theory the heavyer it it the less likely its going to react from a given force.

Damping: by design either the tripod naturaly translates any movement within its structure or by adding tension (hence the trick of pushing the legs out a bit) any movement force has to work against the inherent tension.
 http://www.davesastro.co.uk/equipment/scopes.html if you look at the astro systems 216 f5 telescope each leg of the tripod has 2 vertical strips of aluminium, the base of which are bolted together,then a spacer pushes them apart and at the top the 2 strips are pulled together again. theres a lot of tension there and it works as a very good damper. so much so you could stand on it whilst holding on to another complete identical scope.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 01:22:41 AM »

Any thoughts or advice............

Two other "PODS" you might like to consider at some stage are:

"MONO POD" bit like a walking stick, so comes in very handy just for the "you never know when you want to use it" when out walking, mine is 23" closed and 57" fully open, with hand-strap.

Also one of the mini Tri-Pods, similar to the ones lower down on your page link.
These can be ideal for indoor work, or when sitting at a table taking refreshments whilst out walking.
And fits in your pocket when not being used.
If buying one to also go with a Cam-Corder, then get a sturdy one, although they are much heavier and more robust.
But for general camera usage, the bendy type are quite good and very lightweight..

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 08:56:01 AM »

Well I have just ordered the Hama Star 63 from Tesco Direct,should be here some time tomorrow.

Tbh,I will really be only using it on quite level grassy surfaces(my moutaineering days are long gone),so I think for a first tripod it should be ok and will fulfill my needs.

Wait a minute,Tesco Direct.  :scare: I hope that the tripod is not going up my back passage the same as the phone did  :-X........ :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 09:08:12 AM »

:thumbs:

:lol:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »

Its Arrived !!!

And I am well impressed........ :thumbs:

The quality and adjustment all for £8.97 is brilliant,I have seen these on other photographic websites for £30..!!

If I set it to the maximum height then it is too high for me and I'm 6.2".I lower the centre pole down quite a bit to make it just right for me without having to bend.It swivels left to right and up and down with a lever which you twist to lock it in place.And its got a little spirit level built in as well. Also a centre hook which you can hang things on.(is this to make it more stable)  :)

Just need to hone my photographic skills now........................ ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »

:thumbs: :thumbs:   hooray     .....................   but    :'(  was it painful   :lol:

enjoy it Unc !   we're expecting some very spectacular photos after that description      ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »

:thumbs: :thumbs:   hooray     .....................   but    :'(  was it painful   :lol:

Not at all,my back passage never came into it............. :D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »

Also a centre hook which you can hang things on.(is this to make it more stable)  :)

It serves two purposes, yes to either hang a weight to make it more stable, or/and to be able to hang accessories on, sooner than leaving them on a floor (possibly wet grass) or the fear of them being out of site and getting lost or stolen.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »

>> my back passage never came into it

I think that what we were worrying about was whether it came into your back passage.. ;D
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »

Its Arrived !!!

And I am well impressed........ :thumbs:

The quality and adjustment all for £8.97 is brilliant,I have seen these on other photographic websites for £30..!!

If I set it to the maximum height then it is too high for me and I'm 6.2".I lower the centre pole down quite a bit to make it just right for me without having to bend.It swivels left to right and up and down with a lever which you twist to lock it in place.And its got a little spirit level built in as well. Also a centre hook which you can hang things on.(is this to make it more stable)  :)

Just need to hone my photographic skills now........................ ;D

:thumbs: :clap: :clap2:

Enjoy  ;D

>>>is this to make it more stable<<<<............carry a rolled up Tesco plastic shopping bag......if you want some extra stability fill it with local stones/sand or whatever and hang on hook......then empty out, roll up bag and off home.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:11:17 PM by tuftedduck »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 05:47:33 PM »

[/quote]
Two other "PODS" you might like to consider at some stage are:

"MONO POD" bit like a walking stick, so comes in very handy just for the "you never know when you want to use it" when out walking, mine is 23" closed and 57" fully open, with hand-strap.

[/quote]

Mono pods are a a good point and often forgotten. they make the world of difference in providing more stability,yet much easyer to carry than a tripod and quicker to set up. I've got a velbon which I've had for years (has some teeth marks from unfriendly dogs, another handy use)

A strong one will double up as a walking stick although not a good idea to do thie with the camera still attached as the shock of each step would gradualy fatigue your camera and shorten its life.

The other handy thing with monopods is if your taking videos then just by having the monopod attached but set at it's shortest lenght so it hangs like a pendulum can act as a very good stabiliser for the picture if your moving about. it also slows your panning down which alway feels 4 times slower when filming than it appears on playback. It's the combination of the extra momentum, and the moment around the wrist holding the camera.

If you've never tried this and have access to a monopod, give it a go.it often has enough effect to improve a lot of shots.

the down side is now you have something dangling below the camera which ruins the shot if it taps into say a chair back your passing. so for the wedding reception whilst going between the dining tables this is a bad idea. make's the play back look as if the camera person is getting rugby tackled on a regular basis

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 06:03:53 PM »

The one pictured here has the usual swivel attachment on the top, my "Velbon" does not, it just has the screw thread on the top which I find acceptable.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Hama/Hama-Star-78-Monopod

Some Monopods from Jessops can be found here. But the prices are ?
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Accessories/Tripods%20and%20Supports/Monopods/Show.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:14:32 PM by oldfogy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything