Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DVD Disc Puzzler  (Read 11463 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: DVD Disc Puzzler
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »

I shall look forward to your comments 7LM.  :)
Same here.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »

Guess what OF...?  You'll not be surprised to hear that... you're 100% right! ;)

What seems to happen is as follows...:

1) If subtitles are enabled (displayed) from the button on the remote, then they get recorded.

2) If subtitles are disabled from the button, but I set that obscure menu option to 'enable subtitle recording', then it just seems to override the remote's button for the duration of the recording, so they are displayed on screen during recording and, accordingly, added to the recording.

In either case, when the recording is played back, subtitles are 'permanent', you can't switch them on and off.

I'd love to know why subtitles aren't handled better.  With my (very) limited undesrtanding of MPEG streams, I thought subtitles were just encoded in the MPEG.   The recorder 'understands' MPEG, as it can decode the broadcast MPEG and generate the recorded MPEG, so why can't it just put the subtitles back in their original form?

I know this is getting somewhat off topic from the original post, so I'm hoping Uncle UB is still enjoying the debate he's spawned  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 12:13:49 AM »

2) If subtitles are disabled from the button, but I set that obscure menu option to 'enable subtitle recording', then it just seems to override the remote's button for the duration of the recording, so they are displayed on screen during recording and, accordingly, added to the recording.

I thought subtitles were just encoded in the MPEG.

2) It's possibly done that way so as just to differentiate the subs from what is being recorded and what you are actually watching because you may be watching a different channel and not want the subs (if any) being displayed.

No they are not actually encoded into the movie, they are actually in the .IFO file on a DVD, which is not available when a movie is being transmitted.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »

Thanks 7LM for doing that bit of research. :)

It sounds as though subtitles will not be a problem then. :)

As I have said it is an absolute must for me.I always make sure a film has subtitles before I buy it.
Pages: 1 [2]